How to prevent rabbit litter box from messing up the whole house? Looking for litter box recommendations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barush

Reaction score
Hi,

It's been a while after my previous bunny passed away and now it seems like I'm finally ready to adopt a new one.
In the past I used to use a corner litter box that was put inside the cage, however, I remember we had a real problem with the house staying
nice and tidy, as my rabbit always carried away the specks of the wooden pellets and/or the hay on her feet every time she jumped out of the cage.

I actually didn't know about this in the past but when doing my research now, I've noticed that some people use a cat litter box for their bunnies too.,
so I'm wondering, are these generally better/do they keep your house tidier? Another thing I'm a bit worried about is that if I purchase the traditional
cat litter box, my rabbit would be then spooked by the door flap and I'm not sure how readily it will then be using it. Is it just better to maybe
purchase a higher litter box suited for cats, but remove the outer side?

Any tips & information about good solutions are welcomed. :)

Hi!
I recently bought this cat litter box:
Screenshot_20200609-142744_eBay.jpg
Already changed 3 littler boxes..corner one is way too small for rabbit to be comfortable. Usual cat litter box was bad for me bacause somehow my rabbit used to pee just past the corner. So high sided definitely works for me.
Dont know about litter boxes with flaps, because i wasn't sure if thats good as not enough ventilation.

Hi,

It's been a while after my previous bunny passed away and now it seems like I'm finally ready to adopt a new one.
In the past I used to use a corner litter box that was put inside the cage, however, I remember we had a real problem with the house staying
nice and tidy, as my rabbit always carried away the specks of the wooden pellets and/or the hay on her feet every time she jumped out of the cage.

I actually didn't know about this in the past but when doing my research now, I've noticed that some people use a cat litter box for their bunnies too.,
so I'm wondering, are these generally better/do they keep your house tidier? Another thing I'm a bit worried about is that if I purchase the traditional
cat litter box, my rabbit would be then spooked by the door flap and I'm not sure how readily it will then be using it. Is it just better to maybe
purchase a higher litter box suited for cats, but remove the outer side?

Any tips & information about good solutions are welcomed. :)

I would recommend using a high sided cat litter box so when they hop in and out bits and pieces won't go flying around creating more cleaning for you lol. I wouldn't recommend hooded cat litter boxes and from what I've read neither does @Blue eyes because of potential for ammonia build up.

Here are some good links, you could try to find some similar ones to these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IRIS-Litte...d=1592143955&sprefix=high+side,aps,146&sr=8-5
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-D...=1592143974&sprefix=high+side,aps,146&sr=8-18
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatCentreⓇ...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Here's the one LB uses. I think having it sit under the shelf is good as it somewhat encloses the box so it seems to LB to be somewhat of a hidey hut as well.

There might be less than a handful of poo pellets on the open floor a few days after cleaning the pen.

Attachments

• 20200614_105927.jpg
    20200614_105927.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 8
Corner toilets are generally too small for most rabbits, but some of them are able to use them properly, of course when you have an extra large size, like 46cm one side. I have two males who are very pedantic and have corner toilets, everything goes in, pee and poo, I had some pics posted previously. But now here I just took a quick pic of my other toilet it is very small but all my rabbits love it, I had it previously in a large dog play crate I used for bonding or when cleaning their places. At the moment Rollin uses it he is a neutered young male and he is staying alone at the moment because they had a fight with his bonded mate so I had to separate them. You can see how he uses it, believe me there's not a single poo-berry everywhere outside of it, as you can see in photo he pushes what's left from hay after he picked what he liked in it, into corners, and he likes his floor all clean. He's in a 105x55cm cage at the moment, this is temporary was used for after bonding since it was new to both.

So as you can see this toilet is really very small, it is much smaller than recommended size but they love it and they loaf in the corner as well. Rollin is not mini sized but still not too large, but what is really funny that my big girl Smokey also loves this yellow toilet, I just really regret that I have only one. I keep looking for a bigger one like this one maybe I get some day but would be nice if it was a bit bigger, like 45-50 cm larger side.

This is A4 size toilet box.

P1090148.JPG

P1090149.JPG

Last edited:
For those with diggers or one that likes to lift their tail end up and ends up peeing over the side of shorter boxes, this is a great solution (either with or without the hay rack). (This isn't mine.)

Attachments

• rubbermaid.png
    rubbermaid.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 5
I use this litter box for Theo: Sterilite 28 Qt. Storage Box White Case of 10 - Walmart.com.
To keep the pellets from going everywhere, top the litter box off with hay 2 times a day. It will also feel nice and soft on your rabbit's feet.

They also sell mats to put in front of the litter box that collects the litter on their feet so when they hop on out the litter is left behind.

Latest posts

Back