How to prevent overgrown teeth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends what teeth you are concerned about. If it's the molars, lots of grass/grass hay, particularly ones with high amounts of silica, like orchard grass. If it's the incisors, rabbit safe branches like pear and apple, where they like to strip off the bark with their front teeth.

I give Pepper lots of hay and willow sticks as well as wood toys and he is always chewing on something which helps alot with his teeth.

This may be something you are already aware of, but if the teeth are misaligned, then they cannot grind/rub against each other when chewing. In that case, diet is not going to prevent those teeth from overgrowing.

When I got my doe, she was a three-year-old rescue. Fist vet checkup revealed molar spurs; it was no surprise, as she wasn't cared for well in the past, and didn't eat much hay at all during the first month I had her.

I was rather concerned: both for her health, as well as the financial/time/QOL implications if I had to take her to the vet every two months to get her teeth sanded down... or, worst case, dental surgery.

I found a hay she loved -- orchard mixed with clover -- that she devoured. (Okay, she devoured the clover, but managed to consume some hay in the process.) It was the most expensive hay out there at the time, around $8/lb, but it was still significantly cheaper than potential vet dental bills. I stuck with it and bore the cost, hoping it'd get her teeth in better shape.

Next year's checkup revealed no molar spurs and great health, dental and otherwise.

This was just my single isolated experience, but I'd stress that hay is of the utmost importance to rabbits. Even if you need to spend a bit more to find (and keep buying) something they readily eat, it's the best choice you can make -- for them and your checking account!

Latest posts

Back