How to play with your bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly rabbits play by themselves(at least mine do). They like zipping around really fast, doing their binky tricks, jumping up on things, digging in a dig box, chewing on things, crawling in tunnels, shredding paper. Some will play with balls and toys by tossing them around. Some will even play chase or fetch, but these aren't as common of a rabbit trait. Basically what I do when I let my rabbits out to play is have a dig box for them with a phone book to shred up, a cat tunnel, a few rabbit safe toys(tp rolls, hard plastic toys, natural chew toys), a fleece blanket to dig on and scrunch up, various boxes with holes cut in them for crawling in and jumping on, and a litter box and some hay and water. Then I'll sit with them while I'm on my computer( with charging cord removed :) ) and watch them play, and give pets when they come up to me. Then they usually dash off again playing. Mine aren't free range, so I don't know if free range rabbits play any differently.

It all depends on your bun. My flemmie likes to play chase. He'll chase me for a while and then I'll chase him. It goes back and forth until either I run out of time or he gets tired. He started this when he was younger and I did pay close attention to his body language to be absolutely certain that he at no point was scared and I pay attention to when he gets tired. I also will stop if some sound or movement catches his attention and puts him on alert.

Thumper is pretty laid back and no where near what I would consider a flighty bun.

My rabbits are generally the same and like to play by themselves. However they love tossing these cheap plastic cups that I have. So often when they start tossing them around they will stop and look at me. I'll right the cup back up near them which allows them to toss them again. Depending on their moods we can do this for a good 20-30 minutes.

Sometimes I run the length of my kitchen and Ellie chases me. I do it like once and she gets the idea and will come tearing after me. Then I run back and she runs as fast as she can to come get me! Its really funny.
But mostly she just plays by herself. I have a ton of different toys for her, wiffle balls, TP/PT tubes, sheets of cardboard, boxes, plastic slinkys, a few stuffed animals, and always a section of the Sunday paper. She tears up the paper and does whatever with the other things.

Right now, she's digging in my floor and she seems to love that! haha.

Latest posts

Back