How to make trimming nails less traumatic?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nekobunny

Reaction score
Hi again!!

Something else I forgot to ask. Thumper is ok most of the time about being picked up, but she really hates nail trimming. It doesn't even help to have another person hold her while i trim, she just squirms all over the place. I always make sure not to cut her quick, but sometimes she just freaks out over one or a few nails. I tried many different positions, none really work.I hold her towards me, she backs away. Her butt towards me and holding her paws out, she yanks them away from me. The only wayI get her to stay still is holding her on a pillow in my lap with my hand under her chest and her back/butt on the pillow so her back legs stick out, but I cant imagine she likes that too. By then she seems so tired from the ordeal that she lets me do it but doesnt look at ease at all.

It pains me to have to do this with her. I thought of bringing her to a pet salon but I dont think i can afford it. Anyone have methods that work better, or know why she freaks out so much? I stroke her constantly and talk gently to her but it doesnt stop the trauma!

Some rabbits do better in a strange environment. It could even just be a room in your house that your rabbit doesn't go. If she still reacts to that, try going outside or to a friends house.

When I do nails, I hold the rabbit on its back with the head in my elbow. I clip the nail with the free hand. Some rabbits I do have to wrap in a towel to keep them from kicking.

It is a good idea to work with her on a regular basis to get her used to being handled. Pick her up, cradle her upside down, then put her back when she is calm. Playing with her feet and looking at her nails is good to. One of the important things is to not let her get away with fighting you. If she struggles and you put her down, she learns that it gets her what she wants. If she struggles but you keep holding on, she learns that she only gets down when she is calm.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
When I do nails, I hold the rabbit on its back with the head in my elbow. I clip the nail with the free hand. Some rabbits I do have to wrap in a towel to keep them from kicking.
This is what I do too. It works better for smaller rabbits. My little Toby is the only small bun I know who won't stand for being held like a baby. For him, I have to sit on the floor with my legs held almost to my chest, and put Toby on his back with the length of his body wedged between my chest and my lap, and support his bunny head in the crook of my arm. This sitting position gives me enough room to use my left hand to hold the toes while my right hand clips the nails.

Larger buns I have trouble holding them completely in the crook of my arm. I like to do one of two methods that usually works with bigger buns.

One way is to put them on their back on my lap, like the way most people trance buns. I would need a second person to quickly clip the nails while keeping the bun calm and still.

Second way sounds like it's crazy talk, but it does work. It works with smaller buns too, but I can't ever get Toby to do this, I can see it's harder because of his size. I'm a righty so I have the clippers in my right hand. With the bun sitting on a towel on my lap, I use my left hand to tuck underneath the bun's front legs and chest, then lift the bun up. It's like a half-hug. The bun's head would be right under my chin so I usually snuggle them with my chin and give em a little kiss. At this point the bun should also be standing on their two hind feet. Using my free right hand, I wiggle one foot at a time out from under the bun. It is important to note that when wiggling the left hind foot, I need to shift the bun's weight over to the bun's right hind foot. If the bun loses balance, they'll get scared and try to run. So long as they are standing securely on their own feet, they will let you wiggle out a foot and they leave it there (yes really!)... then just cut!

To do the front feet, put the bun back on his two hind feet and then drop 1 foot from my left hand, one at a time and cut with my right hand.

I do all my buns holding them like a baby, but truth be told some of the buns at the shelter are less cooperative so I need to have backup methods.

I have never had much luck with the bunny burrito myself. I find that getting them in the burrito stresses my rabbits out more than the actual cutting. So now I just skip the burrito and get right to it. My first rabbit, Kirby, had to endure my many mistakes for months until I got decent at cutting nails myself. In the beginning, stress for you and the buns is practically inevitable, but keep trying and see what works for you.

Now that I've gotten the "system" down, I actually quite enjoy cutting my buns' nails. It's my one true excuse to have to pick them up for a cuddle :biggrin2: Sometimes I forget just how jiggly they are. Nail cutting time is a bonding time for me and them.

I go to the vet. Haha.

Otto is super good at the vet, because it's a strange place and strange people. Gradually, he's getting better about being picked up, so I may be able to do it at home soon.

My other bun is awful, and even the vet techs have trouble with her, so I figure it's easier to go there and get it done than fight with her at home for an hour.

Sorry I'm not much help!

Kiss their little heads often when you got them in your arms. Pet them, kiss them, speak in a low, calm voice. Stay in control and don't get too worked up when they get out of the hold. I swear, they know how to pick up this vibe from you.

I used to have a hell of a time getting Toby to sit still. Inevitably I used to get so fed up and tired chasing after him that I step back and say "this is it". Just stay calm, and approach the bun with confidence. He stops freaking out when I stop freaking out. Now I can do all 4 of his feet with him escaping maybe only 3 times, and I pick up with no issue. He doesn't thrash if he feels I won't drop him or hurt him.

Pippin trances (yes there has been some controversy over this technique, but I personally find that it seems the most stress-free and quick way to do this) incredibly easily. Even if he is just tipping slightly backwards he will begin to trance. I don't trance him fully, because there is no need; I just lay him slightly backwards against my legs, and quickly clip the nails. Then I hug him tight to me, and let him off.

Benji is the easiest rabbit ever to hold, but will not trance at all. But this is fine- he just sits there and lets me take each paw, and clip them. He is very good.

I've never had to use the bunny burrito method but I guess if that's the only way you can do it then the bun will have to get used to it.

I place Benji on my lap, stroke him for a few minutes, get him sleepy and relaxed. Then gently pull a paw slightly out. Clip clip. Then lots of strokes and hugs and perhaps a chunk of apple. The back legs are a little trickier, and sometimes I have to place my arm over his nose as I reach round him (sounds odd- I can't explain it), just to stop him darting away.

Jen

I guess I'll just reply to everyone in this one, since Id just be saying the same thing most times.

I tried trancing her a few times but most of the time she tries to jump away when I tip her backwards, and the times I managed to get her there she snaps out of it as soon as i touch her, so I havent found that one to work for us. Same thing with the blanket, she twists around and kicks, and I dont want her to break her back (I readthis can happen).

Maybe I'll try doing the "strange environment" thing, she seemed a little better at the vets when she did it for her first checkup. I'm also gonna try doing it more often so its not so shocking to her. I pick her up loads (she doesnt seem to like it most of the time) so she's pretty used to it now. I tried giving her a banana last time but she actually nipped me after trying too much. I dont put her down when she struggles but a few times she kicked off of me and landed on her back/in a bad position and looked like she got hurt.

Korr_and_Sophie: wow thats pretty complicated I couldnt really picture it too well in my head.. I'm more of a visual person (Im an illustrator) XD

Thanks for your advice guys! Keep em coming!

I sit on the ground with my legs out in front of me & a towel on them and put whoever I'm nail-clipping on their back on the towel and then squish them there so they can't move((not in a hurtful squishing, just immobilizing them)). Aaaand clip. I have eight rabbits ranging from 1 pound to 12 pounds and it works for all of them. The towel is so that if I have a problem, such as them flipping over or freaking out or I've cut the quick, I can easily bundle them up. It also protects my legs from nails I haven't clipped yet.

And then they get a treat when they're done, usually just parsley or a bit of carrot but that way they won't dislike being clipped so much.

I just trimmed my otto's nails for the first time and I did the bunny burrito method. I wrapped him up so his front paws had to be sticking out and let his back paws stick out too.

When I did his front paws, I made sure to keep a piece of towel around towards his face and divide his vision so that the towel covers his eye and he can't see that his paw is being trimmed. I also held him lightly with my legs and used one hand to keep his paw steady and then clipped with the other hand.

When I did his rear paws, i covered his head entirely, used my legs again, and did the same hand-method. This way, he couldn't see that I was the one causing him trauma.

The process was quick and he hasn't gotten mad at my presence as a result of it. I'm quite pleased with my first time :)

Good job! I hope he stays easy for you. My Otto was good the first few months, but after that decided he would have no more of this nail trimming business. *sigh* I'm very jealous of those with easy buns ;-)

Good work!!

Laura - I know what you mean. After you do it a few times, our spoiled buns "know the routine" and they just won't stand for it. It's a battle of who's more persistent and I've got all day ;)

In my battle, I decided I have the money and time to just take them to the vet. lol I do hope to cut Otto's nails myself some day, but I don't know if Hannah will ever be possible. She might be stronger than me! :-o

I agree with the "new environment" system... Taking Bailee into another room that he never goes in and wrapping him in a towel is the only solution that works for us.

Latest posts

Back