How to keep rabbit's cage safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My rabbit Cocoa has been sick for almost two weeks now. He's on baytril but he doesn't show any signs of improvement and is just getting worse. A couple days ago he started losing his balance, falling and rolling around a lot. He has head tilt pretty bad at this point.

The other day I took a lot of things out of Cocoa's cage and just left in there his bed, litterbox, food bowl and water bowl. But I don't even feel like I can keep his food and water bowls in there because when he rolls around he bumps into them and everything spills. Today I have taken both bowls out and just go by him and hold the water by him so he can drink it. He doesn't seem interested in pellets but he's still eating hay. What else can I do so he does not get hurt in his cage? I am probably going to take the litterbox out too since he's not using it anyway.

You may need to move him to a smaller cage or section off part of the cage for safety.
Roll up some towels and place them around the edges of the cage. These provide some cushioning for when he does roll around. Soft pet beds or lots of towels or blankets can help too.

You really need to go back to the vet for better medication. Baytril is not a good choice for treatment, you will need something stronger. The sooner you start better treatments, the sooner you should see improvement and the sooner he can get better.

The first day we took him to the vet (June 3rd) she gave him baytril and said to give him .2ml twice a day. Since he was getting worse, we took him back to the vet on June 14th. She said to increase the baytril to .6ml twice a day and she also gave us panacur to give once a day. It's really hard to see Cocoa so sick, rolling around and just not doing well. I am so worried about him! :cry1:

I do have a pet bed in his cage and two small towels, but the towels keep getting unrolled. Maybe I'll give him some more towels or a blanket.

What do I do about the water situation? When I'm home I keep his water bowl out of the cage and then just hold it by him every hour to see if he wants some. But I don't know what to do when I'm at work, because he'll just knock the water over.

Latest posts

Back