How to keep bunnies from over-heating?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
It's getting warm pretty fast here inMassachusetts, so I'm wondering what I can do to keep the Bunnies cool?Today they were both pretty lazy, and I'm wondering if it had anythingto do with the heat?

Thanks.

Chandielee and the Bunnies.

Thanks very much ^_^

However, I have one more question (I worry about everything :?)

I read that "80 degrees fahrenheit or above is dangerous for a rabbit."

Sometimes it reaches about 100 degrees here.
Will keeping a fan near their cages or a frozen bottle near it still keep them cool?

That will definitly help. I would puta couple of frozen water bottles in the cage, and you can dampen theirears down a bit too.

I don't live in a very hot climate, but I'm sure others who do will chime in with their experiences.

--Dawn

ChandieLee wrote:
Thanks very much ^_^

However, I have one more question (I worry about everything :?)

I read that "80 degrees fahrenheit or above is dangerous for a rabbit."

Sometimes it reaches about 100 degrees here.
Will keeping a fan near their cages or a frozen bottle near it still keep them cool?

That's exactly what I've done to keep Shaker as comfortable as possiblein the summer. I have a big box fan on a table near his cagethat I run when we're home. I hang two battery operated cratefans on the his cage (one on each level) for the times we're nothome.

I tend to us a house brick. I put it in thefreezer over night and then give it to my buns in themorning. They seem to really like it, they just lay upagainst it too keep cool, and unlike water bottles it doesn't maketheir fur all wet when it starts to defrost.

SParrott wrote:
I tend to us a house brick. I put it in the freezer overnight and then give it to my buns in the morning. They seemto really like it, they just lay up against it too keep cool, andunlike water bottles it doesn't make their fur all wet when it startsto defrost.
SParrott, what is a house brick? Is that a plain red brick? And does itstay cool for most of the day? I'm wondering if wrapping afewchilled bricks intowels would be helpful.

Now that summer is fast approaching, I'm getting a bit nervous aboutRaph's welfare, as I don't have A/C and I'm not keen on putting hiscage in the basement. Since he's disabled he cannot move around verywell, so if I put frozen bottles in his cage (wrapped in a towel) hecould still wind up with damp or wet fur as he might not make theeffort to move away from it if he gets wet, which definitely wouldn'tbe good for him. I'll be running a fan near his and Anna's cage, butthe temps in the summer can sometimes hit +35 deg C and even higherwith humidity, so he will definitely need something in the cage to helpcool him.

Hi

Yes a house brick is just a plain brick that you build houses from.......well we do in the UK!!

It stays cool for most of the day and I don't bother wrapping them intowels as there is nothing they can hurt themselves on and it meansthey can lay right on the brick which is nice and cool.

Another alternative is to soak a towel in cold water, ring it out andplace it over his cage, this will keep the temperature in his cagecool.

The other thing is make sure he's got clean cool water to drink.

Sam

Thanks Sam, I appreciate the tips! UnfortunatelyI cannot leave water out for Raph, as he refuses to drink on his own (Isuspect there is something wrong with the soft palate in his mouth).But I will definitely give the bricks a try...though will need to wrapthem for him, as they would be too hard on his body if he were to lieagainst them...his muscles get sore very easily from lying down all thetime. I could probably put the towel in the fridge or freezer for a bitfirst as well. I like the idea of wetting towels to drape over his cagetoo...I could probably aim the fan in the direction of the towel(s) aswell.

This is putting my mind at a bit more ease, as I was worried aboutdealing with the sweltering heat with my boy (and Anna) in the housethis year.

:)

Quick note: be careful putting a fan near abun's cage. I've read several articles saying that you shouldput it a distance away from the cage, so they're not getting theblowing air directly...but gently.

To quote Carolyn:

Air movement is required for proper cooling in very humid areas ormoisture cannot evaporate. While many say to never blow a fan directlyon the rabbit, I recommend it when it's extremely hot and humid. Placethe fan a distance from the rabbit and have it gently blowing over thehot bunn. A little water can be placed on the ears, which serves tocool as it evaporates.

Got it from this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=864&forum_id=1

That's a really great idea! I think I'll use that this summer.

One of the problems I had with our frozen water bottles is that Maisiegot bored (I guess), and chewed a hole through the bottom ofone. Hehe...I guess that's ONE way to get to the cold watermore directly! Hehe...stinker!! :D

SParrott wrote:
I tend to us a housebrick. I put it in the freezer over night and then give it to my bunsin the morning. They seem to really like it, they just lay upagainst it too keep cool, and unlike water bottles it doesn't maketheir fur all wet when it starts to defrost.

I was wondering if putting ice cubes in thewater bottle would help? The opening for Cocoa's water bottleis pretty small though, so I would have to break it up a bunch first.

Yes that is another alternative you could do.

I have done this before, but my buns don't seem to like drinking ice cold water for some reason.

Latest posts

Back