How to help a sad rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyK

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old Male rabbit. His roommate, who was also 10 year old Male, passed away last month.

He is now having a hard time adjusting. I have taken him for a checkup and he is quite healthy for a guy his age. But he seems so sad. He just sits in the corner, mopes around. He looks tired. I try to spend time with him, cuddle him, engage him, give him toys and treats. He is just uninterested. It breaks my heart to see him like this. He has the entire bedroom to roam free but he rarely leaves his corner, other than to eat and drink.

Getting another rabbit is unfortunately not an option. I have a couple birds who have a floor to ceiling cage in the same room, but he doesn't seem interested in them.

What can I do to help him? Will he get back to his normal self eventually?

Keep spending time with him and trying to engage him. It can definitely take at least 1-2 months for them to get over losing a bonded companion, but most rabbits eventually do. Can you leave some sort of TV or radio on for him when you're not around? Some rabbits appreciate that (even if they can hear but not see it). Their taste in TV can actually be quite intriguing. They usually really get into nature shows, obviously, but ours also like the show Rob and Big (I think because it's so high energy). They don't give a darn about True Blood, though! Hubby and I had a good laugh over their indifference towards that when he put it on for them.

Back