How to get a bun to not be so defensive during bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
Bugs and Evie are almost ready to move in together. They both flop many times during the long sessions, groom each other, and will occasionally snuggle. However, Bugs gets defensive when she approaches him. He will jump up and face her and will nip her if she sniffs him. She doesn't like this and will nip him back and then a scuff breaks out. He isn't scared of her because he will flop into her and give her lots of kisses. Sometimes he nips her and sometimes he won't. If I touch his back when they're together, he will jump and face me so I know the behavior isn't directly towards her. I don't feel comfortable being anywhere else than inside the pen when they're together because he's unpredictable. I want to be able to trust them, but until he stops nipping at her, I can't. Is there anything I can do to help him? The areas are made neutral and the sessions are happening in my 4 foot by 4 foot xpen. Should I put them into a smaller space and when he stops being defensive, put them back into the pen? I'll attach a few pictures of them.20190618_110430.jpeg20190618_210701.jpeg20190618_211425.jpeg20190619_093726.jpeg

Hmmm... It sounds like they just are going to need more time. Clearly they are showing progress. The pic with Evie sprawled out in such ease is great. :)

However, if one is nipping when the other approaches, that suggests that Bugs needs more time to trust her. I can't think of anything you can do to change that other than give it more time. I would not say that they are "almost ready to move in together." Yes, they are having good moments and showing promise. But before they move in together, there should be not even the slightest hint of anything like a nip or scuffle -- not for at least a week.

Do you think I should do a stress bonding session? That way he could lean to her for support and then learn to trust her. I guess that could have negative impact if he nips her for being too close, which happened last night when I put them into the same carrier.

I read somewhere that bonded pairs will still nip, but neither of my two like being nipped so that would have to stop.

Is it possible that Bugs being "caught off guard" with Lola taught him to be alert around other bunnies? There were multiple times when I was attempting to bond Bugs and Lola where if Bugs would stop paying attention at all, she would run and nip at him.

Do you think I should do a stress bonding session? That way he could lean to her for support and then learn to trust her. I guess that could have negative impact if he nips her for being too close, which happened last night when I put them into the same carrier.

I am not a fan of stress bonding. I know there are those that advocate this method. Here is an interesting read on that:
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/stress-bonding-what-does-it-mean/

I read somewhere that bonded pairs will still nip, but neither of my two like being nipped so that would have to stop.

I've never had a bonded pair have a habit of occasionally nipping each other. I had one pair, one time, do a sudden tussle. I attributed it to one just having an 'off' day. It never happened again. And that was just that one pair.

Is it possible that Bugs being "caught off guard" with Lola taught him to be alert around other bunnies? There were multiple times when I was attempting to bond Bugs and Lola where if Bugs would stop paying attention at all, she would run and nip at him.

I think you may be on to something there. I thought similarly. I had one rabbit that was very wary after another rabbit I was trying to bond with her was super aggressive. The next bond attempt (with a new rabbit), you could see, was making her stressed as if she anticipated the replacement bunny to behave the same way. Thankfully, the new one was super sweet.

I think I'll stick to the non-stressful bonding methods. They will have a vet appointment in a few weeks or so, and they will ride together in the carrier on the way there but that's the most stressful I'll let it get.

I hope he gets over it soon. Evie seems ready, but he's not yet. They've had 5 or 6 sessions and every one has been full of grooming and flopping. Bugs does seem a lot happier since she's been here. He has been doing binky's and flopping a lot more.

You could try a smaller bonding area and just see how it goes. This way there is less space for her to surprise him. So with her always being within a few hops of him, he'll always be aware of where she is and this might help make him less reactive. Sometimes with bonding if something doesn't seem to be working out, then you need to try something else to see if that solves the problem. If a smaller area doesn't help, then you can always go back to the larger bonding area.

I tried using the bathtub and he has stopped being so reactive! He has also been the one laying next to her, when usually it's her that lays next to him! I will gradually begin increasing the space until they're doing well in the pen. My bedroom is large so it will take some time before they're allowed to have all of it. Thank you both!20190620_111103.jpeg20190620_100439.jpeg

Latest posts

Back