How to entertain your bunny for cheap?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
My bunny loves to go through the curtains so i thought about nailing some old cloth up in his run to play with and maybe a tray of soil to dig in?

I`ve tried hay in cardboard tube and he`s not that keen.

He does also love his tunnel,a plastic baby ball that gingles and cardboard box (which i think he maybe eating is that ok?)

he`s not a big chewer ,he has a wicker ball with string ,wooden cubes and string and it hasnt seen much action.

he did try to eat a cushion so could i fill an old cushion cover with say old materail or paper?

thanks Sue :D

my Belle loves boxes she gets in them and tears at them so crazy that the whole box moves all over the place,lol. You can try a phone book, i just put one in Chargers pen and he has already pulled it apart,lol. You can also try baby toys like keys if they would like to throw something, stacking cups. other then that my guys are not big players, they will nibble on stuff but not really play alot. sometimes Belle likes to knock things over, like i will stack the stacking cups and put a block ontop (onlty two or three high) and she will come over and knock it over, but of course after a little bit of time that gets old,lol. My Benny loves paper towel rolls and will destroy one in a day,lol.

our bunnies love toilet paper or towel rolls. Cardboard boxes give them hours of chewing and moving entertainment. I have some apple boxes that I have cut holes on two sides and then put a litter pan full of shredded newspaper--they dig and chew and scatter it all over and have a good time.

I've found that Byron and Gatsby enjoy large plain paper bags from the grocery store. They love to go inside and dig/rearrange the inside of the bag, jump on top of it, chew it. They seem to work a lot of energy out when they play with the bag. One bag is good for at least a months worth of play, keeping in mind that by the end of the month the bag no longer resembles a bag, but a piece of cheap brown fabric that is full of holes. Either way they adore it.

Also, it may sound weird, but I made an abstract cardboard structure from random pieces that I had leftover (see example below).
3510902488_c575f927cf_m.jpg

They enjoy pushing it around, jumping into it, knocking it down when I stand it up. It's a heavily chinned object to say the least.

I made a couple of toys recently that Pancake seems to like. One is 4 binder clips on a zip tie. The zip tie goes through the handle part. I didn't trim the zip tie so there was something to hold on to. The second toy is more popular. I took two plastic chinese spoons (they cost like $0.50 each), drilled a hole through each and then put a zip tie between them. Pancake picks them up and tosses them around.

The plastic was very hard and brittle so I had to start with a small drill bit and then a medium bit before using the one that was as wide as a zip tie.

I tend to go crazy with the sisal rope. I take scrape wood my papaw has and drill holes in them and put the sisal in them. They can be hang toys, throw toys, stand toys. I have weaved the sisal into a mat, made tunels from wood and hang and fuzzed the sisal in the front so they go through like a door. They leave the eat the sisal.

For the hamsters/mouse I hang the sisal so they can climb it, give it to them to nest with, ect.

Sisal is edible.

Boxes for sure! I've made countless box houses for my rabbits... pretty much everytime i buy something that comes in a box I cut too entrances for them and they go nuts..

For extra fun go shred about 50-100 pages worth of paper and stuff it into the box... enough for them to dig/burrow etc.. then throw in some oatmeal from time to time as a treat... they'll spend hours in the box digging around for oatmeal =)

My bunny loves those$.99 toy mice that cats play with. She picks them up and throws them around. Also, little plastic balls with jingly things inside them for cats are great, too.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
I tend to go crazy with the sisal rope. I take scrape wood my papaw has and drill holes in them and put the sisal in them. They can be hang toys, throw toys, stand toys. I have weaved the sisal into a mat, made tunels from wood and hang and fuzzed the sisal in the front so they go through like a door. They leave the eat the sisal.

For the hamsters/mouse I hang the sisal so they can climb it, give it to them to nest with, ect.

Sisal is edible.
Could I use raffia in the same way? My mum has some extra from craft projects that could be made into fun for the bun...

I would not know, Pekoe. Maybe ask in the nutrition section?

I was wrong, you can get sisal at walmart, where the paint and stuff is, for roughly $3. A roll that can make MANY toys. You can dye it too and make it look cool. I always love doing that but it makes it harder to put through the holes in the wood pieces.

Latest posts

Back