How to drive long distances with rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyK

Reaction score
In the next couple months, I will be moving to another province. The drive is 18 hours nonstop (flying is out of the question).

How should I travel with my rabbits for this long? Should they be in travel carriers, or should I leave their cages set up in the van? How crazy are they going to be if there is a ferret in the same vehicle?

This is just such a long drive and I'm paranoid about the rabbits. Does anyone have any advice?

The longest drive our bunny has been on is 4 hours. We took his whole cage and just slide it into the back seat. For him, that made him seem much less stressed out than the times he has to ride in a carrier (for small trips to the vet and such).

Do you have to do all 18 hours in one go? Is there any possibility of breaking it up into two 9 hour drives? Being able to stop, let the bunny out and hop around a hotel room (carefully monitored, of course) might help. You will have to stop several times anyway, to let your bunnies drink and eat. If they're like my bunny, they won't eat or drive while the car is in motion.

I wasn't suggesting sneaking animals into a hotel--that could get you in big trouble! No, I meant search out a hotel ahead of time that allows pets to stay in the rooms, too. I'm not sure what Canadian hotel policies are like, but in the US, there are some hotels that allow animals. I had a friend who traveled with a rabbit, two cats, and a dog and they found a place that allowed all the animals in their room!

I assume there will be 2 people, to take turns driving. So maybe the person not driving at the time can sit back with the animals & monitor their condition. And could you stop & stay at a campground, or at least stop for a couple hours from time to time, by the side of the road.

I don't know if this site of pet-friendly hotels includes those in Canada as well as the US, but give it a try: petswelcone.com. If not, do an online search.

Qtip has done 6.5 hours in her cage in the back floor seat of my truck. I replaced out the water bottle with a deep bowl (less mess...I live down dirt roads and the shakiness makes the water bottle drip badly) and after the first hour or two, she realized that she may as well eat, and grazed on some hay for the remainder of the drive. She doesn't like to eat so much on the long drive, but she'll do it if she gets hungry.
I also had a bird with me that trip (front seat). She was mildly annoyed with him trying to whistle along to the radio...I couldn't put on classical for her because the bird would have driven me mad with his funny violin noises, but other than the annoying sounds, she didn't mind the other animal. I think I would try to find a pet friendly hotel for a drive that long, though. Or a friend's house which is on the way who tolerates your crew!

They are going to be really crazy about the ferret in the vehicle! Just the smell of ferrets on my clothes after I visit my friends' house (she has four ferrets) drives my buns wild. My buns become very aggressive. They will thump, bite, and lounge at you. I have since learned to change my clothes immediately when I have to go on ferret-watching duty.

How are your rabbits generally with car rides? One of my rabbits don't mind so much and will eat, drink, and pee/poop for 1-2hr car rides.

Does it have to be 18hrs straight? I would suggest that you guys stop every four hours if you can to make sure everyone is eating and drinking. Maybe stop at gas stops?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We will definitely be stopping for (human) bathroom breaks, maybe 20 minute breaks every 3 hours. I meant "nonstop" as in "not sleeping at a hotel". I will look for pet friendly hotels, but we will have quite a few animals with us, I can't imagine any hotel letting us stay there. We will have two drivers and we'll take turns driving, but it's still an 18 hour trip.

The ferret lives at our house, in his own room. So the rabbits are used to the smell on our clothes and through the door. I'm just not sure how they'll react being in the same car as him.

One of the rabbits travels in the car all the time and has no problem. The other has never been in a car, and he is incredibly skiddish. I plan on keeping everyone in their cages instead of a travel carrier (we have a huge 12-seater van), but I'm still worried. :(

It really depends on the rabbit. We've taken Gus on a couple trips with us. The longest was a 9 hour drive. I always put him in a carrier because I feel it's safer (less chance of sliding around or being thrown against the bars if you have to brake suddenly) and because I think he gets less stressed in an enclosed space versus an open cage. Plus his cage is huge and would never fit in the care anyway. ;) We stopped about every 2-3 hours and let him out for a hop and offered him some water and food. But he didn't eat or drink (or pee or poop) until about an hour after we got to our destination. For that reason, I don't think I'd take him on a trip much longer than that. I'd worry too much about his digestive system getting thrown off.

So, like I said, it really depends on the rabbit. If your bunnies are okay with car rides and will eat and drink and potty while the vehicle is moving or when you stop for bathroom breaks, then they'll probably be fine.

Otherwise, I suggest, like everyone else above, looking into pet-friendly hotels. I don't think it would hurt to call a few just to see what they say.

Oh, a couple things to consider: Make sure they don't sit in direct sunlight or a draft from the air conditioning. Both can stress them. Also, we've found with Gus that he prefers to face the back of a seat versus out a window. I think the scenery flashing by stresses him.

Hope that helps!

Good luck with your move!

Rue

Not sure if I was lucky, but I've stayed at a Best Western with six rabbits and two dogs before. Maybe try a B&B place. They are usually pretty accommodating.

As for ferret, maybe place a towel/cover on top of his cage/carrier to minimize the smell?

As funnybunnymummy pointed out, carriers may be a better idea since it's safer. Bunnies generally feel safer and more secure in dark and enclosed spaces (so predators cannot get them), so the extra room provided from a cage may not necessarily provide extra comfort.

Also, you may already know this, but just in case, you may want to keep some old towels/blankets/covers and litter from your buns. Familiar smells will help them adjust to new environments much faster and help with the move. I would probably keep with them in the car ride rather than providing fresh towels.

Good luck and keep us posted because I'll be making the same move across the country in 2 years.

Just brought a young kit home after 6 hours in a car, non-stop. He was in his carrier and secured on the back seat. He had water and pellets, but really wasn't interested in them. He peed and pooped but was dry when we took him out.

No stress at all. And this morning, like it never happened.

Wishing you luck with your long drive and move. Moving is stressful enough, but I know you are concerned with stressing your animals. You are a good bunny parent.

K :)

Thanks again for more replies! I feel better knowing others have taken their bunnies on long drives too.

I was thinking that carriers might be more safe as well, but I feel bad keeping them cramped in such a small area for 18 hours. I want to let them out in the van to stretch their legs, but I'll have so many boxes, there won't be any room. Isn't 18 hours too long for a travel carrier? They're so small.

As for the move, it's definitely stressful - even moreso because my husband is in the army and I have to pack and move everything by myself! :( But my animals are my biggest concern. Hopefully they won't mind. I think as long as they can see each other, they'll be okay.

also does ur rabbit at home interact with ur ferret? cuz in the wild, ferrets hunt rabbits for a living. i have a ferret and a rabbbit and my rabbit freaks out whenever the feret were to be near him or the smell of him.

18 hours is a long time in a carrier. Is there any way you can stop and just take them out and hold them. Give them reassurance that they will not be stuck in that carrier forever? I know you can't let them run but at least for a few minutes they will be out and will be reassured by you.

Sorry you are doing this on your own. Thank you for your sacrifice for our Country. Thank your Husband for his Service to our Country as well. My husband and I are truly grateful.

I looked at where you are actually from, I should say thank you and your husband for being an ally to the United States. Our politicians don't seem to get that message across very well, but the people here, my husband and I, do appreciate the friendship from our neighbors in Canada.

Do you have an x-pen or something similar you can bring? You can then take breaks of maybe 1/2 an hour or so every few hours (3-4 hours if you can) and set up then pen to let them out. They can run around a bit. I would bring a tarp and blanket to put down to avoid them being on the grass, gravel which could have chemicals or other stuff you don't want them in contact with. The pen should be tall enough they won't try to jump out easily. This can be a good time to give them some food and water as well. I put hay in a tissue box so it isn't wasted when you only need a little bit.
You could use a cage instead of the pen, but a cage would be hard to set up quickly or would take up a bunch of space in the car.
You can also work on harness training them (both the rabbit and ferret). This can make it easier to get them out for a bit of exercise or at least some extra security in the pen so they can't escape. Make sure the harness is fitted right and they are used to it so they don't freak out. A tag with your phone number is also good just in case.

Use a bigger carrier, the Petmate medium size is good for a bonded pair where the rabbits are not too big. The large size would be good if they are bigger rabbits. The bigger size could be good for a long trip to give them some more space to move around. Try to find a used one as it is cheaper than a new one, if it is bigger that what you would want otherwise, you can sell it when you get there. You can also put a small litter box in the carrier as well if needed.
Since it is a long trip, take extra towels or whatever for the carriers. I would line the bottom with newspaper, then use an absorbent cloth (like the shamwow kind of thing), then a fleece blanket (you can find them at Dollarama or other dollar stores). Get 2 so you can change the bedding about 1/2 way. Also take a bag for the dirty stuff as it does smell.

If you did want to stay in a hotel, look for one that will take pets. A motel can be good as you can easily get them out of the car and into the room. Say you have a pet and if they ask you can say it is a cat since they would travel in a carrier and not make noise. Make sure to lay down something waterproof under a pen and clean up after yourself. If you want to let them run around, use the bathroom as it is easy to clean. Take your own cleaning supplies (paper towel, vinegar spray, small vacuum etc). It is easy enough to find hotels that allow pets. I have stayed in a hotel with 6 rabbits and didn't have a problem and I know people who have had more.

You can try putting something solid between the rabbits and ferret. You can't help the smell when they are in the same vehicle, but you can keep them from seeing each other.

My bunny is NOT happy in a carrier, even for short trips. He does not "feel comfortable" in the small space. He actually gets quite pissed at me when I take him somewhere in his carrier.

Funny thing is, when I just leave it on the floor, he'll go into it on his own, although he never stays in there for long (never sleeps in it). And if I try and get him to go in, he'll run around and thump in protest.

I suppose that varies from rabbit to rabbit, but the Zoomer likes lots of room (he's a free roaming house bunny).

I've actually been considering getting a larger carrier, or building something out of NIC panels so he won't get so mad, but I don't have a very big car. Hmmm... I suppose I could fold the back seats down and put him in the rear cargo area...?

Anyway, the point is, for my bunn at least, a carrier would not be an option. I'd definitely need something larger.

Back