How to cut mats off hind legs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
I went and bought the corn starch powder and dry bathed Diva. It worked really well and got her tail all nice and dry and her "privates" as well. I think I may have found what is ailing her as well.

The fur on the bottom of her feet is matted rather badly. I did manage to pull and cut some out but I am worried I may go to far down and get her skin. It smelled rather potent of urine when I was fiddling with the mats. I wasn't able to really see any skin due to the white powder being on her which made everything kind of look the same.

Can I shave that area with a pair of clippers and then just keep applying and rubbing the corn starch in until the mats release? I am sure that the mats are pulling on her skin making it uncomfortable to hop around on. I have never had this problem with any of the other buns but maybe it's because she is so big being a flemmy and all?

Should I start brushing the bottoms of her feet from now on? What would the best type of comb be for untangling mats down there?

Thanks again for the help!

Hi!

Binkie use to get urine matted feet. She would empty the litter out of her pan, but she would still pee&poop in it....AND THEN LAY IN IT :disgust:
We ended up having to give Binkie a foot bath on a few occasions. Dry bathes weren't enough, and I was afraid to clip the fur.I was also worried about her nicking her or that she would get sore hocks if I clipped it too short. I clipped the fur as short as I could, but then I figured that the urine would get to her skin just as easily.

I mixed a little baking soda in with the foot bath to help neutralize the urine acids. I used a plastic shoe box and just enough water to cover her feet and allow me to wash them.

I ended up making a grid to put in her litter pan to keep her off the litter....and to keep the litter in the pan.

jim

Cut the mats out very carefully with a small sharp pair of embroidery scissors. The matts will hold in moisture and promote bacterial and fungal infections of the foot as well as unevenly apply pressure to the foot tissues.

You can use a small slicker brush to regulary groom the feet as well as applynon-stainingiodine periodically to prevent fungal and bacterial infections of the foot.

Although a thick fur padding does help to cushion the feet, thick fur does not always protect from sore hocks (I've seen a number of Angoras with sore hocks).

Pam

Well we just got back from the vets. he did shave her feet a bit and agreed it was urine scald. because she is running a slight temp so he put her on a round of baytril. What a pain to administer in pill form but because she is so big she had to have pills. I did get the pill popper but it was still a heck of a issue getting it down. He also perscribed something for her feet but I don't remember what it is called. I have to go and pick it up from the pharmacy in a bit.

Thanks again for the support and answers!

Latest posts

Back