How to clean house?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three buns. All live in extra large dog cages. The two girls separate from the male. I use a mix of white vinegar/water. I wipe the cage down with this. I will then wipe down the cage again with just water since I don't like the smell of vinegar. If there are any calcium deposits (white spots) from urine I soak that with vinegar/water for ten minutes or so and wipe it off. It's the same thing I use for cleaning litter boxes.

I sometimes use my vacuum to clean up any loose hay litter first. Other times I just use damp paper towels.

Vinegar is safe for buns and breaks down the urine smells so even a bun will not smell urine.

Most of the time I use plain water except for urine stains and the litter boxes where I use vinegar. If the vinegar won't get a stain out, I use OxyClean on it followed by vinegar. I don't care for the smell of vinegar so, only use it when I need to.

I have an extra large dog crate with an x pen attached for my Flemish Giant baby. The morning routine is to keep Stewie in the crate (I keep him in there for night time) as he decided he loves "helping" with the broom (chewing on it) and distpan (dumping it) while I swept the x pen area. I then let him out into the x pen and give him his food bowl, that keeps him extreamly occupied while I clean out the crate. I sweep the floor, spot clean the litter box and replace litter (totally clean it once a week), fill his water bowl, give him his hay, pet the heck out of him and I'm done. :) the whole process takes about 5 minutes. Night time I sweep up the "marking my turf" poos (he is 100% pee trained and 80% or so poo trained), fill his food bowl top off his water, smooch him goodnight and put him in his crate and cover it. Rinse and repeat....;)

I do use vinegar if I dump any peed litter on the hardwood floor while emptying his litterbox, it can be a messy job. I do it just so he doesn't get any ideas and think the hardwood would be a great potty spot...the vinegar smell dissapates very quickly.

Last edited:
Mine have cages surrounded by xpen. I dismount the top and then take out all the carpet pieces, brush them down to get all the hair off. I sweep the foam floor of the xpen and then I clean the inside of the cages where needed with vinegar/water. I change their litter boxes a couple of times a week and I check their water bottles daily. I do vacuum their space as well to pick up any bits of stray hay and poops. They love checking everything out while I´m doing this so normally takes me about an hour and a half on a Sunday in total. Doesn´t stay clean for long though lol :headsmack

I have all NIC cages.
This is for a full cleaning, all 9 cages takes about 2 hours to do and is done once a week. I will first take the rabbit out of the cage. That I take out the litter box and dump the litter. Next the food and water dishes come out and go into the litter box to be washed out. Any toys, beds, and other stuff is taken out. The blanket is then shaken out (gently so stuff doens't get everywhere) and put into the dirty pile. A few have memory foam mats which just get shaken out and set aside. Next I sweep out the cage, then spray it with a vinegar and water mix and wipe up with paper towel. A clean fleece blanket goes in. I then scrub out the litter box, and food and water dish, the litter box also gets a rinse and scrub with vinegar. Dishes and litter box and dried and water dish filled up. The litter box gets litter and goes back into the cage along with the dishes. Anything else goes back in, the hay rack is filled and bunny goes back in the cage. All the bedding gets washed as well.

Once more a week, I will dump and wipe out the litter box (using the vinegar spray and paper towel), wash the food and water dishes. Some cages get swept out, but only if needed (some are cleaner than others). If a blanket is dirty, it gets washed and they get s clean one. This usually takes about an hour.

A couple have litter boxes that get scooped daily, but most don't need it. Sometimes a foster bun is messy, so needs the cage tidied as well.

The products I use are white vinegar, water, sunlight dish soap, and laundry detergent. Occasionally I may use bleach in the laundry and I have used vinegar in as well (not at the same time).

White vinegar and water mixed are very good for removing pee stains. For a scooper, I use simply a plastic sand shovel. It is cheap, large, easy to clean, and great for picking up poops. :)

I have all NIC cages.
This is for a full cleaning, all 9 cages takes about 2 hours to do and is done once a week. I will first take the rabbit out of the cage. That I take out the litter box and dump the litter. Next the food and water dishes come out and go into the litter box to be washed out. Any toys, beds, and other stuff is taken out. The blanket is then shaken out (gently so stuff doens't get everywhere) and put into the dirty pile. A few have memory foam mats which just get shaken out and set aside. Next I sweep out the cage, then spray it with a vinegar and water mix and wipe up with paper towel. A clean fleece blanket goes in. I then scrub out the litter box, and food and water dish, the litter box also gets a rinse and scrub with vinegar. Dishes and litter box and dried and water dish filled up. The litter box gets litter and goes back into the cage along with the dishes. Anything else goes back in, the hay rack is filled and bunny goes back in the cage. All the bedding gets washed as well.

Once more a week, I will dump and wipe out the litter box (using the vinegar spray and paper towel), wash the food and water dishes. Some cages get swept out, but only if needed (some are cleaner than others). If a blanket is dirty, it gets washed and they get s clean one. This usually takes about an hour.

A couple have litter boxes that get scooped daily, but most don't need it. Sometimes a foster bun is messy, so needs the cage tidied as well.

The products I use are white vinegar, water, sunlight dish soap, and laundry detergent. Occasionally I may use bleach in the laundry and I have used vinegar in as well (not at the same time).

I clean my NIC cage exactly the same, lol, except I don't have 9! :bow

I have a few litter boxes for Thumper so first I get a clean litter box filled with litter and ready to go. He's usually already out of his cage. I will unhook his litter box from his cage and set it outside of the cage. I will wash his water bowl and his pellet dish and set them on a paper towel on the counter to start air drying. I give him plenty of hay and usually there is some piled up under his hay rack from it falling out while he eats. I pick this up and place it back into his hay rack. Sometimes this can take a while because he will hop into the cage to munch on a few strands or he just has the urge to run between my knees while I'm cleaning. I then use some damp paper towels to wipe clean his cage and get up any poos that have been dropped outside of the litter box. I then attach the clean litter box to his cage. I then fill his water bowl and replace it. This can take a little while as his bowl attaches with wing nuts. Thumper likes to get my attention at this point by either jumping across my lap or by squirming his way between me and his cage where I am at and lay there effectively blocking me from putting the wing nuts on until he gets enough pets or I give him a little push to get him moving. I will dry his pellet dish and put that back. Every other day I also put him in the cage and pull the cage away from the wall to vacuum up the loose hay that falls outside his cage. I let him back out as soon as I'm done vacuuming.

With the girls I do the same but when one is very hormonal there might be a pee spot outside the litter box so then I will use vinegar/water to clean. Also, the girls litter box is a large storage box and their hay rack hangs inside it so any loose hay falls into the litter so I have less of that to clean up in their cage.

I vacuum in the bun room at least once a day, sometimes twice. I may also do the different sections at different times. The girls have an X pen around their cage so the girls and boy are separated. If I vacuum early before I let anyone out then I will do both areas at once. If I vacuum when either the girls or Thumper are out then I don't vacuum where the bun(s) are out so my vacuum cord does not get chewed on.

I empty the dirty litter boxes and clean them outside with the hose and vinegar. If calcium is building up then I will let it soak with vinegar for about ten minutes. I rinse and leave outside to dry unless it's raining then I place them in the garage. I have more than one litter box for each bun cage so I always have one clean at least and one in the cage it saves me from having to physically dry the litter boxes.

About once a month I will wipe down the sides of the cage. There's not much to clean on them since it is wire dog cages but the wire can get a little dusty over time.

Latest posts

Back