How to clean a really dirty and poopy rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gucci d Buchi

Reaction score
My bun decide to roll in his soft poops and it got all over his body and feet. He is covered in it and I don’t know how to clean him. He also doesn’t like me touching his feet. I know rabbits shouldn’t be given a bath so i don’t really know what to do. Any tips that can help would be greatly appreciated.

Abby had a hard poop area all over her back end. Finally I got a large pan and filled it with water and plopped her into it. She liked it! I gently agitated her fur until all the poop came off. I just used my fingers and coul feel the poop loosen and drop off. Then I dried her with a towel. She immediately began grooming herself again and seemed better. The only trick is making sure you don’t get splashed with brown gunks poopy water on your face when bunny gets bored. (I got splashed.)

A rabbit should not be soaked in a bath. Putting an inch or two of warm water in a tub just to wash paws and bottom is acceptable if done correctly. This is often referred to as a butt bath. (can be googled) Thoroughly dry afterwards.

But for fur elsewhere that is soiled, a rabbit will typically groom himself. A damp towel can be used to wipe an area too, as mentioned by @Mileybun. I would also agree that a healthy rabbit does not leave soft poos around to be able to roll in. What is going on with his diet? How old is he? Could you better describe the situation so maybe we could help prevent an excess of cecal pellets (if that is what is happening)?

We have cared for special needs' buns with hind limb paresis (unable to hop or use their back legs) for approximately 20 years. Cecals do get stuck if their medical conditions do not allow somebun to rotate and ingest immediately from the output valve.

What works best for us is a two-person nurse/nurture butt bath by rinsing their soiled fur or messy area under the sprayer or faucet of the kitchen sink with lukewarm water. Always testing the temperature first. Yes, as @Blue eyes mentioned, we dry carefully, gently with a thick hand towel afterwards.

One gal needs her bladder expressed 3x daily and her stream will inadvertently soil on her plush towel bedding overnite. Creating urine scald patches. Again, a gentle rinse off by the kitchen sink is done, while I am super careful to support her spine while she is positioned against my chest, and her anal area can get the needed cleansing. SSD is later applied in reddened areas. Hope this helps,

I think it is also advisable, when "bathing" a rabbit in a tub or large basin, to fill it first with water to the desired level before placing the rabbit in it. Otherwise, one risks a panicked reaction to a perceived threat of drowning. If this incorrect, I hope someone here will correct me.

Latest posts

Back