How to check for ear infection/best meds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satrevino

Reaction score
Hello, the vet said my holland lop rabbit has a minor ear infection and to give her the ear drops she gave me. I know its breed is more prone to getting ear infections than other breeds, so is there any way I could check her ears every week to see if she has an infection and buy the medicine myself instead of paying double at the vets? Is there a rabbit ear wash that they sell to prevent infections? Are there any all-purpose rabbit ear infection drops?
Thanks

Ear infections is caused by bacteria while ear inflammation is caused by irritation often.

Myself regular clean my lop bunny ears to help him not get an ear inflammation. Right now he have an inflammation again which I can feel. But for me it caused by wax problems that build ups in his ear channels and blocks. Which later trigger an inflammatory response, like pain, swelling and so on.

I don’t know if there is any good ear infection prophylaxis treatment you can do. Maybe washing the ear channels sometimes can help to not make bacteria grow in the ear and trigger the inflamatory response of the body.

Inner and middle ear infections can only be diagnosed by x-ray or CT scan. I would not use ear drops. If there is an infection, bunny needs antibiotics. If there is discharge, the vet should do a culture to determine which antibiotics to use.

Back