How to calm down an anxious rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokkibada

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if there's any kind of solution to an anxious rabbit that freaks out if anything new enters the house. I rescued Mr Brown back in February and he's been settling fine in our house until today. My partner and I are babysitting a relatives dogs for the next few days and Mr Brown gets bunny panic attacks and runs into the walls whenever the dog moves too close. This is a bit of a problem because we were planning on getting a dog in the future but seeing how Mr Brown is reacting we're not sure what to do besides putting the rabbits in a different room. We'd like for our animals to get along but it seems like it's difficult with a rabbit who has experienced trauma in the past. My other rabbit cal is completely fine and doesn't care about the dog's existence.

A rabbit is a prey animal, dogs are predators. That's not an unexpected reaction for a rabbit not socialized with dogs at a young age to learn that it could be safe around them.

I would keep the dogs completely away from your rabbit. Different room, no visual contact at all. Then provide lots of tunnels and hiding boxes so your rabbit feels like he has safe places to hide when scared. And make sure he continues to eat well, so the stress doesn't induce GI stasis.

If you do still consider getting a dog, if at all possible, I would try and make sure it was a very calm and gentle mature dog, not a puppy, that is good around other animals. This will give you the best shot of your timid rabbit being able to learn to feel comfortable and safe around dogs.

Over time, once your rabbit gets used to the sound of a dog in the house and the smell, and realizes that he is still safe, then it may be possible to attempt desensitization by letting your dog be in visual range, then eventually safe contact through a barrier. But be aware that some rabbits can become so terrified that if they have any sort of heart abnormality, a stress like this could actually induce a cardiac arrest. So there is a potential risk.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/introducing-dog-to-rabbit.html

Latest posts

Back