How skinny is too skinny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
I have a bit of a question about how skinny arabbit should be. I was petting Mocha and can quite clearly feel hisbackbone. I then went to pet Spice to compare it, I cannot feel hisbackbone as clearly as Mocha, but that could possibly be because he hasmore hair and has not shed as much asMocha has. They are bothfed the same amount, except that Spice eats more hay on average thanMocha. Mocha seems to have a small dewlap while Spice does not. It'shard to tell exactly how skinny with all that fur and I can't reallyfeel the ribs they way he always sits when I want to check. I just wantto make sure he is not underweight. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Some rabbits simply have a more prominentbackbone. A rabbit that is too thin will feel very bony andfeel very light for it's size. The coat will often be in poorcondition.

Pam

Thanks. Mocha seems no lighter than Spice. Hisfur looks scruffy, but I know that's simply because he is shedding, asfar as I can tell, it's not in poor condition.

Latest posts

Back