How old were your rabbits before they actually successfully bred?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fignewton2009

Reaction score
I know they say that rabbits can breed at 6 to 8 months but in reality, how old were yours before you got a successful breeding. Mine are Netherland Dwarfs and they are between 6 and 8 months and I am not having any luck.

I have a lionhead who had a litter when she was about 5 months old, so she was bred around 4 months. This was before I got her and she didn't take care of the kits, so they were fostered to another doe. She had been kept with some males a bit too long.

There is a difference between able to breed and willing to breed. Rabbits can typically breed as early as 3-4 months, some do mature faster than that as well. It is generally not recommended to breed until they are at least 6 months as they are more physically mature and more mentally mature, so a better chance of the kits being cared for.

I've tried at 6mos and it never works. They end up up having dead babies I rebreed and by 7mos they have a healthy live litter

Nethies are notorious for having litter issues (either not breeding or its like pulling teeth to get a live one)

My doe was 6 months old and she kindled a litter of 4. 3 healthy babies and 1 DOA. She was/is an excellent mother. :)

4-6 months old mine start and 99% of the time they have successful litters including raising them. If you wait too long they build up fat and are much harder to breed well. I have more problems with older does than with younger ones.

I prefer to wait til they're 6 months old before I start breeding does. The first litter isn't always successful but I think you have a better chance of success if they're older.

My NZ Reds bred at 4 months, days before we separated them. One mom did an amazing job, but I think it stunted her growth. The other lost all but 1 kit.

We wont breed until they're 6 months, but accidents do happen. And sometimes they may just not be ready.

Latest posts

Back