How old is too old to get spayed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augustus&HazelGrace

Reaction score
I have a bun that I rescued from being abandoned. I have had her for two years. I don't know her actual age but I plan on getting her spayed come summer time. I'm also going to get bloodwork on her to make sure her kidneys/heart/liver are working properly. She is my baby and means the world to me. I'm wanting to get it done to lessen her chances of cancer, although I don't know if she already has it, I also want her to live longer and I want to bond her to another bun in the future.

We have had a couple done that were 6 or older--they were in excellent health too. We have had a couple of males done that were 8 or older--hard to get the exact age as all were rescues and we only got info on a couple of them that were surrenders rather than abandoned by some idiot. We had 2 female mini rexes done at 6 years and one lived past 16 and the other was a month short of 19.

With an older bunny, bloodwork is definitely a good idea. Honestly, as long as she's in good health and there's no reason to anticipate issues with anesthesia (which is what the bloodwork is for), it's never too late for a spay. Even if she already has cancer, it might not be metastasized and it may be possible to remove any tumor(s) during the spay.

Latest posts

Back