How often you clean

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyshizzle

Reaction score
I clean Rascals litter box every day but I was wondering how often should I clean his pen? I've thought to do it once a week but it gets reeeally messy. Hay is everywhere! Especially today. I have noticed he's made a total mess. I don't want to mess with his environment too much because I know buns like their space how it is but idk maybe he wants it clean?

I am thinking to wash his rug this weekend since it will be three weeks since he's been on it.

Should I pick up the hay more often than once a week? It looks messy.

How often do you fully clean?

We straighten up and change litter everyday (pick up the hay, outside poops, clean up any excess veggies...etc. And every 4/5 days we take everything out and vacuum and wipe down everything :)

He didn't like it at first but he's getting used to it... I'm a clean freak lol and... If I don't clean up the hay he throws around everywhere he'll poo outside the litter box!

I only cleaned once a week for the first 3weeks and then since he was comfortable with us I started cleaning up everyday.... He your new bun acts very bothered when u clean up, I wouldn't so often... cookie doesn't seem to care, occasionally he'll nudge me when I'm in his xpen cleaning up but never gets very upset... But he's also been with us almost 3 months now!

I definately need to do it more than I do I can tell you that!!! Not enough time and when I have the time no energy.....three bunnies can get very messy.

Yeah this will be week three. So I think after next week I will start cleaning more often and see how he reacts. I go in his pen every day to give him food and water so he's used to that though he does sometimes try to chase me but I stand my ground.

Thanks!

I clean every day (sweep up poops and mess and put in new puppy pads etc.) but then do a thorough clean every 4 days or so when I change his towel linings and his house blankets.

T

Once a week I totally clean all the cages. This involves emptying and scrubbing the litter boxes, washing the food and water bowls, sweeping up the cage, wiping the cage with a vinegar and water mix and washing the blankets. Anything else that needs to be cleaned is done as well.
Around 3-4 days later I will scoop out the litter boxes, wash the food and water dishes, sweep up the cage and spot clean if needed.
I am starting now to spread out the litter in Tesla and Kraken's litter boxes and they both will pee in the corner and it tends to build up a bit. So I am hoping that mixing up the litter daily will help and make the corner of the box a bit less icky and keep it from building up too much.

I takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to do a full cleaning (I do have 5 rabbits and 4 cages to do). The inbetween cleaning takes maybe 30-45 minutes.

You guys make me feel like a slacker.. but then again I've been very busy and Mumford pees like a racehorse! I try to empty the litterbox twice a week, and refill hay and water as needed. I give pellets and some fresh veggies nightly buuut it's been a while since I've scrubbed their floors/washed towels. They only leave a few poos behind so I figure it's not a huge issue since most stuff ends up in the litterbox.

I do only have one cage, so I shouldn't have an excuse.. but was busy working and then lately I helped out with bottle feeding an orphan kitten so once life gets back on track it should be getting cleaned more often.

Latest posts

Back