How often should I change...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster2369

Reaction score
I was just wondering how often you should change pellets? I give him a 1/4 cup a day and sometimes he doesn't eat it all, should I throw it out or keep adding to it? Do they go bad if they sit out a while? I don't have much money right now so I have been adding to it, I mean why waste it?

I also wanted to know about the hay? I give him a plate of fresh Timothy hay every day, but is it necessary? Can I do it every two days instead? There is so much leftover, I hate to waste it. I never know how much he wants to eat, some days he loves and eats a lot of hay and other days he would rather eat his pellets...

I was just wondering if it goes bad or loses flavor after a certain amount of time...

Thanks for any advice :D

:rabbithop

you can offer less pellets if thats the case and youre worried about waste. Mayber offer 1/2 the amount but twice a day. They dont really go bad but they do loose "freshness" (go stale) over time if left exposed.
Hay can be left out... well pretty much forever. Just top it up, hay should be unlimited.

For pellets, try giving a bit less. This will mean he will eat it all. You can also try feeding twice a day (1/2 the daily amount) and see if he will eat it that way. The pellets won't really go bad if left for a day or 2 unless they get wet or something, but it is good to give fresh pellets every day.

As for hay, as long as he has some he should be fine. Some rabbits eat more hay that others. As long as it is clean and he doesn't pee on it, it should be fine to eat. I would recommend putting the hay in a hay rack so he can't pee or poop on it.

Usually what Fraggles does not eat I toss back in the bag to keep it fresh. However hay needs to be provided in unlimited amounts. As long as it stays clean and dry then its fine. But always keep unlimited hay for your bunny. Do you have a local feed store? Hay is cheaper and fresher at a feed store then from a petshop :)

Thanks for all the advice :)

I am going to feed a little less twice a day. I have a hay rack but he never uses it. When I first got him he wasn't a big hay eater but a couple of weeks ago I started putting hay on a plate near his other food and he started to eat it! I guess he needs to eat off a plate! He's such a proper bunny:biggrin:

He does tend to eat more right after I take it out of the bag so I guess it tastes better. I will also put his unused hay that is not dirty back in the bag that way it stays fresh. I have been trying to find hay in bulk for cheap where I live since I live in a more rural area and there are a lot of farms around me but I have yet to find it...
:bunnyheart

You can also put hay right in the litterbox, goofballs like to eat and do their bunny business at the same time :D And just top it off or fluff it, for some reason fluffing the hay makes the bunnies go at it anew :D

I noticed Buster likes to eat hay as he goes to the bathroom so I always keep a big handful in the front of his box. I actually use hay as litter in his litter box with some Carefresh bedding to make it softer. He seems to like it most of the time, except when he feels like going on my bed :confused2:

Latest posts

Back