How often do your bunnies pee outside the litter box?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
Just curious. I’ve noticed my bunny doing it more recently. He’s been neutered for more than 5 months so I don’t think it’s territorial. It’s usually in the same two spots

Mine has peed on my bed 4 times now. She just pees in my bed when she's upset with me and it's on days when I've had to cut her nails. Otherwise, she's litter trained.

My bunny Odin pee on the bed or couch if I’m not in the room. This happened often if you don’t keep an eye on Odin.

While my other bunny Toste only pee up on Odin’s indoor cage and hit the litter box in the cage, so don’t know if it count outside the litter box when he aim so good. But I managed to section Odin roof away from Toste. Now I can only find a few droppings leading to my room from Toste sometimes. He leave a small trail that lead to his litter box 🙄

I think Toste is putting up a trap when he leave such an obvious trail with me slowly following.

Never unless she is very stressed or in pain. If it's the same two spots and not very frequently it is unlikely to be illness. Could you put litter trays in those spots?

Mine also never peed outside their box (past 30+ years). A trained rabbit should be 100% with peeing in their box. The exception for some would be the soft couch or bed. Mine aren't permitted in bedrooms.

Rabbits tend to 'go' where they smell it. So it's possible that he's had prior accidents in those two spots and keeps smelling it. (It is difficult to get odor out - especially carpet - to the point where bunny doesn't detect it.)

If it isn't practical to put litter boxes in those spots, then I'd try new methods of cleaning it up and then try to block access for awhile. In time, the barricade might be able to be removed without him returning to piddle.

As with all animals they will keep peeing where they smell their own scent. I would try to buy that Enzyme stuff to spray in the area to get rid of the smell. Replace bedding or blankets, and also if it's on hard floor, put the enzyme spray and then put a piece of furniture over the spot.

When we catch our bunny peeing outside the box we tell her no and gently put her in her box to give her a clue. But, she pretty much stopped when she was spayed. We did have to tell her a few times after that.

Fred always goes to his fav one spot in his box, never any other spot, except when he is very hungry and angry with me he manages to pee precisely into his food bowl. Very clean no pee around I have no idea how he can do it, it's like peeing into a beer bottle.

Latest posts

Back