How often do cats need shots?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmerlin2010

Reaction score
I have gotten a few letters from my vet reminding me that my three cats need to get their shots of FeLV Leukemia Vacc and Rabies Vacc 3 year (<--What the postcard calls them..). They had their kitten shots about a year ago, and I have heard that they only need shots every three years, and some vets just do it every year instead. Is that true? What shots do they need this year (if any):?
Anyone with cats please post what you do!!

Thanks!!

Funny, I just got the postcard for my cat, as well! If they are indoor cats, they should get shots every 3 years, but if they live outdoors, it's usually 1 year. Usually, they need Leukemia, Distemper, and Rabies.

If they are kittens, however, they'll usually give them a one year vaccine and when they get older, they'll start giving them one every 3 years. So, they may be due for their next set!

It also depends on the vet. My doctor uses the 1 year rabies on all cats, not just kittens. The jurry is still out, but the 3 year rabies might have more issues of adverse reactions than the 1 year due to the different ways the viruses are used. So, we use the 1 year instead. I always take the cats in for a yearly check up anyway.

Thanks everyone! I am scheduling them for their 1 year shots now, (Well, mom is.. She is also doing it at different times so we only need 1 carrier.. Ok mom..) :)

Funny, I got a postcard for my dog earlier this month...

Saying I needed a million different shots and such... She had her puppy shots and then her 1st year shots. I was pretty sure she only needed to have her check up and rabies done from now on.

Latest posts

Back