How often are your buns outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
In the warmer seasons,Katmai, Kodiak, and Dutchare outside from the morning until the sun goes down. They love being outside and they'd probably hate me if I had it any other way! How about your buns?

Beatrice was born outside and now enjoys spending all of her time indoors. We have hawks in the area and I'm too much of a worry-wart to let her outside.

My 2 buns live outside in the shed, in a cage (parents want them outside for some reason)

They are out during daylight hours. At night time they come inside until 11 or 12 then I have to put them out. On average they spend 8 hours in their cage, and 12+ hours out of it :)

We don't have predators, but I am always around to keep an eye on them

Mine are 24/7 outside, they have huge 3 tired hutches though and a large run to play in when it's suitable weather, they are covered at night and all seem happy and healthy. I make sure they have plenty of toys to entertain them too.

I have only taken mine out once(only one of my bunnies cause he is easy to catch)and it was only one for about 30mins.

I would love to be able to take them outside but just not really possible for us.

Old Choppy is a apartment bunny.

This summer is going to be first as a big boy so we are thinking of taking him to the park on a lead and are currently trying to get him used to it. The rate he is going I think it is going to be next year before he will see the great outdoors as all he seems to do is get himself all tangled up!!

Wrangler is an indoor bunny, but whenI visit home (I am in college), I'll let him outside sometimes on our back porch...of course I supervise him the whole time. I learned that he does like to be outdoors too! Since I currently live in an apartment while I'm at school, I can't let him play outdoors, but I plan/hope to be moving out this summer and looking for a house with some property...therefore I will be investing in rabbit play-pen that is covered and will keep him safe from predators!

My bun has never been outside (except in his carrier from the house to the car to go somewhere). There are just too many predators - I would be nervous taking him outside.

at night mine are locked in their bunnery. during the day they can come and go into their garden as they please. we work fromhome and there is always some one around to keep an eye out. we are relatively predator free - house on one side, 6ft brick walls and fences on the other three. a few neighbours have cats which dont come into the garden - the dogs see to that.

i do check the garden regularly for any evidence of escape tunnels. there are no poisonous plants and their garden is fenced off.

Storm gets to spend a few hours a day few days a week outside in the spring probably in the next mont or so for about two months then its get to hot. In the winter it is to cold.

So for a couple months I take him out on a leash for a little while. A couple times a week

We've only taken ours outside a few times. They are both terrified of birds and seemed to hate the experience. It's also really difficult to get them outside because there's no backyard at the apartment.

Roxy is an apartment bunny, but when the weather is nice I leave the balcony window open so both her and the dog can go out on the balcony whenever they want. I have chicken wire along the bottom of the rails to make sure she can't fall off.

I had Angus out the front yard yesterdayforan hour or soin the grass and he sat next to the letter boxhaving a great time eating a little plum plant - even the postman stopped to give him a pat when he dropped off my mail. nawww. :D

I can't let Mimi outside otherwise I'd be worried I could never catch her again, butwhen I lived in an apartmentI used to sometimestake herpark on weekends attached to her harness and lead. It causes quite a stir when people see her.:baghead

In fair weather (not pouring or covered in inches of snow) my rabbits are let out in their outdoor pens daily for most of the day. They enjoy grazing and exercising outdoors.

I have a window of opportunity where I live. Right now, it's more than 20 degrees cooler outside than it is inside. Too much of a drop. Most of the year, it's 20 degrees or more hotter outside than it is inside, again, a big change for a little bun body. I take advantage of the inbetween times as much as I can. Either on the porch or on a lead in my lawn or at the park. Elf enjoyed going to the sidewalk cafes in my area, as well. :) I can't wait to bring Poe when the weather gets a bit warmer.

My bunnies are all inside-only. We have a rock lawn here in AZ, so that's not too comfy on bunny feet. We do have a large back deck, but I always find it such a hassle to pick bunnies up to carry them through the house and outside....so I don't do it. I *might* do some bonding sessions outside in a pen on the porch for Morgs and Molls this spring, though.

My bunnies are indoor-only. Weather suitable for them to be out in is rare here. (It's super cold in winter, and very very hot and humid in the summer.) Plus, this area has fleas and bot flies. My neighbors also have two large dogs. My backyard is fenced, but the dogs bark at the fence and could frighten the bunnies.

I suspect that three of them would have a grand time running around outdoors, especially Nick and Amelia. (Benjamin is too shy, and doesn't even want to explore my house.) But the risks just aren't worth it to me.

Latest posts

Back