HOW OBVIOUS TO THE EYE is flystrike?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldbun

Reaction score
Found some eggs on Arnold's ramp, couple had just hatched so tiny tiny maggots. Found some eggs in his bedding too.

This happened before and when I checked I couldn't see anything (he's got a white bum though so it's hard to tell, hence the concern). He was okay in the end, I cleaned out everything in his cage and he was fine.

I've just come back from staying at someone's house so I don't know how long they've been there but I've cleaned it all out, he seems himself and although it's hard to tell I don't think I can see anything on his bum area.

Going to keep an eye on him and check every few hours but as the title states "how obvious is fly strike?"
If flies have laid eggs in his fur and they hatch etc is it obvious at first or does it only become obvious once (eek) they start eating at him? :(

Also, is there anything I should look out for behaviour wise which may indicate fly strike?

I know I may be overreacting but it's hard not to!

xo

It sounds like you've probably got them all and caught it early. Give your rabbit a little sponge bath on the backside if you're not sure. I've seen pictures of flystrike and vaguely recall having one of my buns treated for it when I was about 8 years old, and it's pretty hard to miss. Just keep checking, but if you're really worried, there's a spray you can get that both treats and prevents it - it's brit purple as I recall, and they use use it for sheep as well, so it's pretty heavy duty, and will seal any bites or wounds and stop it happening again. I HATE flys - just had to clip all my Charlie's fur around his backside because he sat in his caecatropes (or whatever they're called) and now he hates me and won't come out of the garden. But yes, sounds like you caught it in time. It's scary, huh. X

Latest posts

Back