How NOT to hold a rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
How NOT to Hold a Rabbit:

Never pick up by the ears orlegs. The scruff of the neck is okay, but onlymomentarily

Neverhold them away fromyou – snuggle the rabbitclose to you

Neverdrop a rabbit to the ground –their backs are fragile and can break veryeasily

Always holda rabbit securely evenif theykickandstruggle.

Be aware they can gofrom a mellow rabbit to a kicking dynamoinstantly!

I would like to clarify that it is advised toavoid scruffing the rabbit if at all possible and to never scruff arabbit without also supporting the hindquarters. The rabbit'sfull weight should never be supported by just the tissue over theshoulders.

Scruffing actually causes bruising, tearingand bleeding tothe tissues. It also stretches the skin and ruins thepelt. A meat producer can attest to the fact thatthedamageis so bad over the shoulders when a rabbitis scruffed, that it renders that portion of the meatun-marketable.

To properly pick up a rabbit, slip your right hand under the chestbehind the front legs, and support the rear with your lefthand. Slip the rabbit under your left arm in a "football"hold to carry it. A towel placed over the rabbit can help tocontrol a hard to hand animal.

Pam

Yes, personally i hate it when people holdbunnys like that, I will usually hold babii like a little pup, with onearm and her leaning agenst the side of me. Also i see soem people holdbaby's like that too so it must not hurt Babii.

I put one hand round his belly and the othersupporting his bottom then scoop him up and hold him close. Tonight cosit was dark and i could not see him in his hutch to take him into theshed i had got his bottom up by my face instead of hisheadand he kicked me continuously in the jaw lol

I sometimes had to scruff my old rabbit to gether out as she was cage aggressive. I would scruff her to pull her outand then after I would carry her foot ball style. I hve only once hadto scruff Karona as she was escapeing my room and I had a dog over so Iwould rather he be brused than eaten!!!But I agree its not the bestway just had to point out it is sometimes nessary.

I seen a old movie of how to care for rabbits.Itwas a old man teaching a young boy how to hold a rabbit.The boy lookedscared! lol!Those old movies like that are so cute.

Latest posts

Back