how much veggies/herbs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmichaels99

Reaction score
My bunny is 6mths old. He is about 5lbs. I usually give him a loose cup of fresh veggies ( leaf lettuce, coriander, parsley, dill) every evening. Is that enough? He gets hay and pellets as well.

That sounds about right, too much veg would mean that the rabbit eats less hay which is crucial to keep their digestive system moving, and to help to wear down their teeth. I think the recommended amount of veg is two handfuls a day, which is what I give mine, once in the morning and once in the evening. Carrots and apples are quite high in sugar so shouldn't be given daily with rabbits think leafy green veg. :)

Ps the veg you're giving sounds like bunny heaven - mine adore parsley - I just wish they liked something cheaper!

Each rabbits' diets can vary in amount depending on the amount of exercise he gets and will change with age. Start out with little pieces and see if it agrees with him. There may be things he love, but his stomach can't handle or certain veggies that give him gas. For example, my Anya loves red russian kale and has been able to consume it with no issues, but lately it been giving her gas. So now I know to reduce the amount of red russian she gets. It is also very important to keep a close eye on their poo after you try something new. Here's is the most comprehensive list I have found of foods they can/cannot have.

http://bananasforbunnies.org/?page_id=151

Thanks for the input. We have slowly introduced him to all the greens he gets, only one at a time and starting off with small amounts. He hasn't had any negative reactions to anything I have given him so far.

Latest posts

Back