How much time between litters?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasenpfeffer

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity as I doubt I will be breeding my lovely Adahlia again, how long should you go between litters for a mum bunny?

Back to back litters are hard on the doe and even aggressive breeders give their does some time off at certain periods of the year. On average, our does only have litters twice/year - spring & fall, because summer is too hot around here and seems to last forever. We breed in the winter some, too.

Technically speaking, you can breed straight away, but it's bad for the doe and potentially the kits too.

At 8 weeks old, rabbit kits are fully weaned. Up until this point, the doe would have still been providing for the kits so it's still drained from that. So to bring her back to good condition from that would take at least several weeks before you breed again to get her pregnant. But like the others said, 2-3 litters a year is usually plenty. 3 litters a year gives you 1 month between 8 week old kits and the doe becoming pregnant again.

what i like to do is ween the kits when they are 6 weeks old (but not sell them till they are 8). that way mom gets even more of a break.

There is a stigma about breeding animals too frequently, but in reality, there's an important balance to reach with brood rabbits. It's important to make sure the doe remains healthy while raising her litters, but going too long between litters increases risk to the doe and kits next time.

My general recommendation is to wean kits from the doe around 6-8 weeks old, give her about 2-4 weeks off, then rebreed her. Does should have at least two litters per year to stay in breeding condition, but 3-4 litters annually would be reasonable.

It's important to evaluate the doe's overall condition between litters. Make sure she is in good weight and flesh condition, eating and drinking a healthy amount, etc. Some does maintain condition really well and could be bred more frequently than others with little issue. Others may need extended time between litters to retain their body condition. It's very individual, so the general opinions you get are more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

Latest posts

Back