How much should our little boy be eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momto1

Reaction score
I am not sure our little boy is eating enough, pellets. His hay I have to refill the dish 2 or 3 times a day but I gave him 1/4 cup of pellets yesterday evening and this afternoon I went to take out the old and there was still have the pellets left (I measured it out).

I know he's still a really little boy so is this ok for him to eat that little? I don't offer him any treats like fruits or veggies yet either just hay and pellets.

He's drinking very well too he drank almost 1/4 of his bottle yesterday! He was one really thirsty boy I guess.

Flashy wrote:
How old is he?

How long have you had him?

I don't know how old he is. He could be about 4 or 5 weeks. The breeder gave me two different birthdays for him so he could be 4 or 5 weeks or a little older. He's the bunny in my avatar though.

We got him on saturday so I know he is still adjusting but with possibly being so young I worry.

I do crunch his pellets up so their not that big but their not dust either just smaller versions of his pellet.

Oh dear, he's very tiny and very young- too young to be away from mum.

Is he on the same food as when he was at the breeders?

Give him all the hay he wants, make sure it is completely unlimited hay so he never runs out. That's a good start.

If he is the size of my current almost 5 week old babies I would be worried. They are only a few ounces, very small. Is there anyway you can get some benebac and/or wheatgerm oil? A breeder I know gives her babies benebac until they are 10 weeks old, I myself gives wheatgerm oil.

Maybe you should have the baby bun vet checked too. Make sure the vet knows lots about rabbits. :)

where would I find the benebac or wheatgerm oil? Do I have to put it in his food or with a syringe or how do I give him the stuff?

Yes he will be going to the vet, our exotic vet we take our hedgehogs too is not in until friday though and I don't trust anyone else at the clinic to look at him but her.

Yes he's on the same food as he was on at the breeders (atleast she says). I got him the purina rabbit show formula. I saw a kaytee brand made specifically for young rabbits but don't know if kaytee is a good brand or not. I know I don't have good luck with their hay so didn't think their pellets would be good either. Would maybe putting him on the pellets for younger rabbits help him (or atleast maybe mixing with his food now)?

We're just worried about him eating too much hay and not enough pellets. He is tiny he weighs 10.5-11 ounces (I weighed him on our kitchen scale). Is this a normal weight for a bunny his age?

we also didn't know that he was too young when we brought him home. I did research on feeding and caging and everything but didn't research how old he should be until after we got him and I was a little hesitant about the age she was giving us.

You can Benebac at Petsmart. As long as your bun is eating and drinking he should be fine. Does he have energy? moving around? If he's eating more hay, I wouldn't worry, as long as he's eating some pellets. :)

edit: pooing & peeing alright?

SweetSassy wrote:
You can Benebac at Petsmart. As long as your bun is eating and drinking he should be fine. Does he have energy? moving around? If he's eating more hay, I wouldn't worry, as long as he's eating some pellets. :)

edit: pooing & peeing alright?

Yes he is peeing and pooping ok. His urine was dark yesterday (like reddish) but this morning I took him out and he peed and it was yellow agian. His breeder said it was stress but I got him an appointment with my vet just incase. I'm just hesitant to take him out more than neccasary being so young and not really wanting to stress him out more than I have to.

I will keep an eye on his weight though and make sure I get to petsmart and look for the stuff for him.

Is he going to be ok though, or is this way too young to be away?

I think he sounds fine. :)You could try benebac til Friday. He's not having any problems. Enjoy your bun-bun :biggrin2:

Benebac is good to keep no matter what. Even if they are not babies or sick a little pro-biotics are good :)

I get my wheatgerm oil from the feedstore I get my food and such from. It is expensive, in my opinion, but it last forever so it is not bad. It is used for like dogs and such, it has a lot of vitamins and such in it so it is used to inhance body condition and breeding results in dogs and rabbits. I use it mostly with sick, pregnant and nursing does and babies.

I have not been able to find benebac in any store except in puppy and kitten raising kits but you can order it online.

You pour the wheatgerm oil over the pellets and mix them around. The benebac goes straight into them mouth.

I think I'm going to move this to the Rabbitry. They should be able to give you good advice on what to feed and how much.

I don't think we can say if he is ok or not, or suggest you wait to get checked out at the vets or not because clearly something is wrong if he isn't eating much, but the breeders will know what is best for you to do.

Try sprinkling a tablespoon of (dry) oatmeal (Plain Quaker Oats) over his pellets. It's easy on his digestion and most of the babies really like it.

Eating hay is really good. But he is really young to be fully weaned.

Latest posts

Back