How much should I be feeding my new bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramelsoda

Reaction score
She's an 8 or 9 week old English Spot and I'm feeding her Oxbow alfalfa based pellets. I've just been giving her a handful or so. The back of the bag says that she should have an unlimited amount until she's a year old but she seems like she's gained a lot of weight in her tummy area. I don't want her to be overweight so exactly how much should I be giving her? I don't really know how much she weighs.

Hi when mine were babies (it's been a while mind you) I gave them unlimited Alfalfa I think till about 6 months.

Someone who is much more knowledgeable will come and answer you.

Susan
:)

I fed my rabbits under a year unlimited. If you think she is gaining weight, you can prob cut down to a half a cup. Does she run around a lot. She just may need excersise :)

Yea.. Her pen has been open all day for her to run around but she's just been laying there. Yesterday she was much more active. Now she just wants to eat, sleep, and poop in her pen. I will just keep giving her an unlimited amount of the pellets then. At what age should I start giving her less?

Young rabbits need lots of food to grow properly. A 9 week old bunny still has lots of growing to do.

I would free feed, but give measured amounts so you know what he is eating. Start with 1/4 to 1/2 a cup at a time and fill as needed. As he gets used to that amount, you will be able to monitor him better. If he doesn't eat all the food in his normal time, then it could be an issue. If he starts to eat all of it quickly, he may need more. If you are just giving a bowl full, it is hard to tell when they are not eating.

Make sure he has hay as well. Rabbits need hay to help grind down the back molars and it helps keep the gut moving. If he is not eating hay, cut back on pellets a bit. The hay should be alfalfa now, but you can give timothy too. Once he is about 6-8 months old, switch to timothy or other grass hay and cut out the alfalfa.

Since English Spots are not a huge breed, I would free feed until about 6 months, but continue with alfalfa until about 7-9 months before switching to timothy pellets.

Since it is a young, growing bunny you should be giving it alfalfa as well as a pellet to eat. We always gave a measured amount of pellet and kept the hay manger full. Once they hit six months the alfalfa became discontinued as they had reached their size and no longer needed the extra protein and calcium the alfalfa provided.

Latest posts

Back