how much pellet to feed new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
Hi guys its been a while :) im in the process of adopting a new bun from the shelter and have a question regarding pellets. I already have my Gizmo which ive had 6 yrs and hes a mini lop. He eats about 7 tbsps of oxbow adult pellets a day. The new bunny is a young adult female ( according to shelter) and she is a new zealand mix and was found as a stray. Ive never had a large breed rabbit and was not sure if she would be eating based on her weight but also dont want to overfeed her. She was underweight ( dont know how underweight she was)when they got her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks guys

I raise New Zealands and I free feed pellets while offering other things they generally prefer (basil, carrot, apple, alfalfa, timothy, oat) No one of mine over eats but, they will eat from a half to 2/3 cup a day of pellets depending on what else they get that day. Pellets only, then they can eat a full cup in a day.

If you don't want to free feed, I'd start at 1/2 a cup for the day and see how much the rabbit eats. Some rabbits like to nibble a bite or two off and on all day, others want to eat all at once two or three times a day.

Also ask the shelter how much they were feeding or if they were free feeding. If they free feed and the rabbit is not overly fat (which it doesn't look to be) then that's probably the best way to go.

Ask how the rabbits are few at the shelter. Some just fill the bowl while others might measure for each rabbit. This can let you see what she is used to eating. If she is used to a full bowl, she might not appreciate being limited right away. If she is used to a measured amount, free feeding could make her gorge on pellets.

I would recommend a measured amount, but a decent amount. The measuring lets you know how much she is eating. She looks like a big rabbit, so start with 1/2 a cup per day. You can adjust based on what she actually eats and if she maintains a healthy weight (give more if she needs to gain, less if she is getting too big).

It may take a few days for her to settle in and start to eat a normal amount. Give her about a week to see how she does before you start adjusting the amount.

Also give her lots of hay. Stick with veggies she might be used to and in smaller amounts until you know how she will react to them (also ask the shelter about veggies).

Theres been a change in plans. Ive decided to adopt a little baby boy instead as she unfortunately was very skittish. Is it ok to have him on adult pellets? Thats what he was on in the shelter. I gave him 1/2 cup. He looks to be a new zealand mix as well.

1392065574541.jpg

How old is he? That can make a difference.
Since he will probably end up being a big rabbit, I would at least give some alfalfa pellets. You can do a 50/50 mix so he is eating both instead of doing a full switch. You can free feed, but again I would still measure it so you know what he is eating. You can give alfalfa hay as well along with timothy hay.
Being young and moving to a new home, limit or avoid veggies for at least a little while. Let him settle in and get used to you and his diet. You can then slowly introduce small amounts of veggies.

The shelter didnt really know how old he was but they estimated a few months old. Is 1/2 cup pellets a day too little? Should i do 1 cup instead? Ive got him on timothy hay, they had him on it in the shelter. Im taking him to my vet soon so maybe she could see how old he is. I know that hes got tiny sharp baby claws :) ive had babies before but never a large breed.

You could give more than 1/2 a cup. Try increasing by 1/8 of a cup a day to see how he does. If he keeps eating it all, then that is good. If he doesn't finish it all, but back a little bit. If he starts eating less hay, cut back as well. It's about finding a balance between him eating what he should, without getting fat or having issues with too many pellets. Being a little lean is generally better than being on the heavy side. New Zealands tend to be more heavy set anyway, so don't need any extra weight.

Baby nails aren't fun. Hope you are doing the clipping yourself so you can keep them trimmed. Even it you just cut the very tip, it helps with the sharpness.

Yesterday i gave him 1/2 cup and he had finished that by night time and he also ate alot of hay which is good. So i will try adding 1/8 cup more today and see how he does. Im wondering now if its even a good idea to introduce alfafa pellets at all since it would be new to his system? What if i just bought alfafa hay and mixed some into his timothy hay? could i do that instead of switching his pellets from timothy to alfafa?

Latest posts

Back