How much for neuter??? O_o

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenclawMama

Reaction score
I was just quoted almost $650 for bloodwork and neuter for my 6 month old rabbit. That seems like a LOT. Is that the norm?

Where I live in western Ky. about 200 is average for spay and neuter. The cheapest I have found near where I live is about $100 each so for me $650 is wayyy to expensive. But I have found it is more expensive if you go to an "Exotic" vet. My vet is not exotic but has a lot of experience with rabbits, so I trust him to do the surgery and I use him for all of my animals he is very cheap so its a win-win for me, but you may just have to call around and see who has the cheapest price but more experience with rabbits even if it is not an exotic.

So I nearly freaked out when the exotic vet I went to, when I first found our then 3mo old holland lop, quoted me $500. I searched for weeks and finally found a rabbit savvy vet who neutered our 8mo old lop for $135 (includes $12 for a nail trim).

Depending on how large a city you are in, as well as the country (I'm in Phoenix, AZ, USA) you're in, definitely look around. We have a place with a very well-known rabbit savvy vet... but he has retired just last month :-( I feel lucky to have found the one I did, only 30 minutes from me. I'll be taking the younger lop to them when he's a bit bigger as well.

Neuters should be considerably less in cost than spays since spays are much more involved.

[@Xynthia, which vet did you find? I'm also in your area. Spay quotes I received were $250 - for a vet recommended by Brambley Hedge Rescue. I didn't ask about neuters.
Perhaps you can add your vet reference to the following link here on RO:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/az-rabbit-savvy-vets.10067/ ]

Last edited:
Back