How much food to feed my lop mix

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camzfl

Reaction score
Hi everybody, a little over a month ago i adopted a Holland Lop/Mini Lop mix and he is a little under 4 pounds. recently i have been noticing that his poops are darker and have a gooey consistency that have been getting stuck to his butt a little bit. I currently feed him unlimited amounts of Oxbow Timothy Hay, 1/4 cup of pellets and about 1 cup of various veggies per day. My question is if the problem lies in that he may be getting too much of the pellets and not eating enough hay? Thanks for any and all advice, i appreciate it very much.

I also have a Holland Lop under 4 pounds. He gets 1/8 cup of pellets and 2 cups of veggies a day.

What is the name of the pellets and what veggies are fed? Weird poos are usually caused by diet.

All his poops or just some? It's possible that what you're seeing is cecal poops. Try cutting back on the pellets gradually - that's the #1 cause of uneaten cecals (obesity, arthritis and injury are other potential causes). Can you post a pic of the poops for us?

I also have a Holland Lop under 4 pounds. He gets 1/8 cup of pellets and 2 cups of veggies a day.

What is the name of the pellets and what veggies are fed? Weird poos are usually caused by diet.
Its a brand called "Small World" from Walmart, i am going to switch to Oxbow pellets once i use all of what im currently using. For the veggies he gets Romaine lettuce, Cilantro, and Turnip greens

You need to use some of the current pellets to slowly transition him to the new pellets. So don't wait until you run out before switching. You'll want to mix 1 part of the Oxbow with 3 parts of the Small World and feed that for several days. Then mix equal parts for a few days. Then mix 1 part Small World to 3 parts Oxbow. That is how you gradually transition a rabbit to a new pellet brand.

For what it's worth, I feed the Walmart brand of pellets - it's surprisingly good for being so cheap; it's a good choice for those of us on a tight budget. The only problem I have with cecals being left is with an overweight bunny on a no-pellet diet (well, literally 6-12 pellets a day, just so she doesn't feel left out hearing everyone else get pellets).

As I mentioned before, a picture of the "weird" poops would really help us (in addition to the questions Blue eyes asked about age and neuter status).

He’s around 9 months and he is Neutered. I attached the photos, they seem a bit dark and sometimes they stick to him.

Attachments

• E54B18CE-96C8-4FFC-ABB6-1B8BF62E24B1.jpeg
    E54B18CE-96C8-4FFC-ABB6-1B8BF62E24B1.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 10
Hmm, those do look much more like fecals than cecal poops... I'm really not sure what the problem might be. Try messaging JBun, our health and wellness moderator - she may have missed this thread and is usually extremely helpful on the topic of poop (among others).

Hmm, those do look much more like fecals than cecal poops... I'm really not sure what the problem might be. Try messaging JBun, our health and wellness moderator - she may have missed this thread and is usually extremely helpful on the topic of poop (among others).
Ok will do, thanks so much

Latest posts

Back