How much does everyone spend on their bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
I'm just interested to know how much people spend on their bunnies in a week/month. List what you buy and the cost and how many bunnies you have to buy for :)

Oxbow pellets, 50 pound bag for $45 about every three months. (180)
Hay- a bale of Timothy and a bale of orchard grass 60 pounds each, $8 each twice a year (32)
Vet care, basic check up- $45 each per year (270)
Toys, replacing blankets, basic fun stuff, snacks- it is more veriable but probably averages $10 a month (120)
Vegetables- this is the big expense but they so love it, $30 a week average (1560)
So for 6 rabbits I spend about $2162 per year if everyone is healthy, or $180 a month.
I put aside another $50 a month into their own bank account for medical issues because they can add up so fast.

I dont really track it because i'm sure i wouldnt be happy with the amount I come up with.

My biggest expense for them is veggies. Its at least $20 a week.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
I dont really track it because i'm sure i wouldnt be happy with the amount I come up with.

My biggest expense for them is veggies. Its at least $20 a week.

I agree, I was a little shocked at the number I came up with this morning. It doesn't seem like that much when it is a little at a time.

I just won't tell my husband. :whistling

Recurring Costs:
Giant 65lb bale of hay: $15 about every 4 months or more
Pellets / Food: $8-$10 every month ( buy in bulk:) )
Toys / Misc: $5 or so a month (Cardboard boxes are Free!)
Vet: As Needed, but under $15 a month total

Initial Costs:
Bun 1: $40 (breeder cost) + $150 (spay)
Bun 2: $80 (adoption cost)
Cages: $400 - $500 (8' x 4' pens with heavy flooring)
Misc: $200 (Harnesses, Bowls, Feeders, etc.)

So for 2 buns about $900 initial cost with about $35 a month recurring cost. They can actually be a fairly cheap pet.

This can be a bit cheaper

1 10 pound bag of Oxbow per month ($15)
1 50 pound bag of master feeds every 4-6 months ($18)
1 60ish pound bale of hay every 2 months ($10)
1 small bag of orchard grass per month ($5) I will be buying the bigger bags soon, so that should be $10, but last about 2.5 months or so.
$40 of veggies per month.
1 40 pound bag of wood pellets every 2 months ($5-8)
Toys vary, but I tend to not buy a lot of new ones other than hay toys.
Vet bills are only as needed, but this year has been about $200.

I have 7 rabbits in 5 cages (2 bonded pairs).

1 bag of oxbow pellets a month - $15
1 large bag of yesterday news litter a month - $20
2 bags of mixed hay - $7 each - $14
l large bail of timothy hay to spread on litter etc - $15
misc bowls trying to find one he will not dump - $5 right now every week or so
veggies - $10 per week
renovations to deck to try and catch him - ??
damage to hoses to get rid of moles in yard that he ate - ??
damage to couch he chewed - ??
worth every penny

I'm scared to add this up...
Food- 50lbs bag once a month $20
Hay- bags (although just got a bale for free) once a month $5
Litter- shredded paper & pine pellets 1 bag once a month $6
Veggies- for free from local produce store (they toss non salable, still edible stuff) $0
Toys- I either buy random ones or make them average per month $5
Vet- total this year $700 so far, but varies depending on needs

The initial costs (rabbit,neuter,cage,water&food dish) are more, though I get lots of that second hand either free or low cost. I just bought an xpen (3 ft tall precision brand) for $1 at a garage sale.

Costs can be kept down while still giving your bunnies the care their need. The biggest thing is vet bills for unexpected reasons, that you can't cheap out on.

I'll see if this photo works. I found this awhile go. The ASPCA estimates that monthly maintenance costs for a pet rabbit are about $60/month. Of course, I imagine some of us spoil ours with even more.
I'm sure my biggest expense would also be the veggies. That's why I want to expand my herb/veggie garden --free is nice!

2urxw2c.jpg

WOW! according to their estimates I should be spending over $8,000 on pet care per year! I know we spend a lot, but not that much.

I forgot about litter in my above calculations, but I wasn't that far off. I wonder if they count initial set up in that. I think I treat my gerbils well, but there's no way the boys eat $600 worth of food in a year, even with fresh greens.

My totals: I really, really, really hate to add this up. LOL We're feeding 50+ rabbits. Most of those are young ones, pregnant ones, and show ones.

Pellets- $240/month
Hay- $16/month
Calf Manna- $14/month
Oatmeal- $12/month

Shavings are just swiped from the horses, apple twigs come off our trees, toys are stuff from around the house.

wendymac wrote:
My totals: I really, really, really hate to add this up. LOL We're feeding 50+ rabbits. Most of those are young ones, pregnant ones, and show ones.

Pellets- $240/month
Hay- $16/month
Calf Manna- $14/month
Oatmeal- $12/month

Shavings are just swiped from the horses, apple twigs come off our trees, toys are stuff from around the house.
Aww. At 50 rabbits, that only averages $5.64 per rabbit per month --- I'd say that's not bad at all! :nod

Aha, i know i don't want to add it all up too! My bunnies get more spoilt than my dogs and cats! aha, the dogs get a big bag of food and that is but the bunnies have to get hay, pellets and veg. But veg is the most i spend on too, around £20 a week!

Back