how much crude protein?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaidsmiiles

koolaidsmiiles
Reaction score
How much crude protein should an 8wk old rabbit get?
Her breeder is feeding her blue seal show hutch deluxe & told me not to give anything that has less than 17% protein.

Firstly I can't find anywhere that sells that brand I asked her where she gets it but she lives in Jersey I'm in New York. Then I started searching I can't find any with 17% crude protein! Lol
So I'm just wondering if this is necessary?

It can depend on the rabbit and what you are keeping them more. Breeding rabbits tend to need more protein than pets. Even intact rabbits might need more, even if they are pets. Angoras need more to grow the coat.
Generally, most pet rabbits do well at about 14% protein. Young rabbit foods tend to be alfalfa based, so can have around 16%. Some rabbits might benifit from 17% or 18%, but they tend to need it for a specific purpose and it's not really suitable for pets.
Protein isn't everything either, you need to look at the whole pellet and not just one factor. Ingredients are important as is the fibre, fat, and calcium in the pellets.

My rabbits do quite well on Oxbow pellets. They have nice shiny coats and can maintain a good weight. Mine are pets, but also do agility and they don't have problems. A few get the young rabbit ones as they need a bit more of a boost (very high energy and an angora).

12-14% max for adult house rabbits; up to 15-16% is ok for growing rabbits (up to 7 mos old for most breeds/1 year for giant breeds) but I wouldn't go any higher if they're some alfalfa hay in addition to grass hay (and the usual 12-14% is fine if they're getting all alfalfa hay/no grass hay).

For outdoor pet rabbits (specifically, in hot summers and/or cold winters), show bunnies and breeding rabbits, I believe 17-19% is the recommended amount (hence why the breeder told you 17% minimum - that IS an appropriate amount for a breeder to feed; not so much with pet rabbits).

Here's a great site on picking a good pellet (for pet rabbits) - http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

While it's specifically in regards to an adult pellet, any of the highlighted brands are also suitable for juveniles if they're also getting alfalfa hay (I recommend a 50/50ish mix of alfalfa and grass hay - feeding only alfalfa tends to make them very picky and can make it quite the ordeal to wean them onto only grass hay when they reach adulthood (which I had the misfortune of learning through experience)).

Thank you everyone, he is a Holland lop I am keeping him as a indoor pet. How long should he be on young rabbit/juvenile pellets? I also thought about putting him on oxbow. Timothy hay is ok with this pellet?

Holland Lops are considered adults around 6 months old, so that is a good time to switch. It is also around the age where they usually get neutered, so the metabolism changes and diet changes can be needed anyway.
Timothy hay is fine for babies. You can give alfalfa as well if you want.

I switched my Holland lop and lionhead to an adult pellet at about 10-11 weeks old, though granted with the brand I feed, the juvenile formula is for rabbits up to 12 weeks old and it seemed silly to transition them onto it only to have to switch to the adult formula right afterward (I did feed alfalfa, though, which supplies extra protein and calcium). I feed Sherwood Forest M/S formula and LOVE it - one of the healthiest around! I would feed a combination of alfalfa and timothy (or any other grass hay) if you feed an "adult" pellet formula.

Make sure you have some of whatever pellets the breeder was feeding so that you can make a gradual transition onto the pellets you choose to feed! (This is typically done over the course of around 2 weeks.)

Here's a great site on picking a good pellet (for pet rabbits) - http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

While it's specifically in regards to an adult pellet, any of the highlighted brands are also suitable for juveniles if they're also getting alfalfa hay (I recommend a 50/50ish mix of alfalfa and grass hay - feeding only alfalfa tends to make them very picky and can make it quite the ordeal to wean them onto only grass hay when they reach adulthood (which I had the misfortune of learning through experience)).

Great site I'm definitely using that

Latest posts

Back