How much can you love a bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelh

Reaction score
At this moment, baby Piffy, aged 1 and a half months, having been my baby for less than 72 hours, is sleeping next to me as I type. I never knew you could love a bunny so much. I never knew a bunny could love you so much.

Piffy is my first baby bunny. The 4 of us (we live together) went into the petshop one day looking for Reptomin for our pet turtles. We never planned on getting a new pet, but all hearts stopped when we noticed sweet little Piffy snuggled close to her(?) sibling. We had to get her.

We got home with little Piffy, hay and that pellety thing made of pine (for soaking up urine the pet shop girl said). I put her into her box with her food and water.

Within a few moments Piffy was sniffing around, curious at everything. She didn't seem scared of 4 excited giants surrounding her. She didn't oppose much to being carried (although i admit i squealed a little bit the first time i carried her and she tried to kick) . I had to learn how to carry a baby bunny from Youtube. Now we are both comfortable.

The next thing we know, Piffy was eating from our hands :D. Our hearts melted then.

On her first day here, Piffy was a typical well-behaved cute little bunny. But the next morning saw her out of her little box, hopping around excitedly, having pushed over the box in which all her food was and spilled it all over the place.

We cleaned our room yesterday- both of us, me and another girl XC (it wasn't very messy to begin with :p) and bunny-proved all corners in the little room while Piffy watched from the bed. We made sure there weren't dusty dark corners for Piffy to hide in.

Now Piffy comes and goes as she likes. She follows us around the room, and climbs all over us, licking our faces and hands when we lie tummy down on the floor.

I am a total noob at caring for baby bunnies. I am always paranoid of doing something unintentionally harmful to my precious little one, especially now that we have decided to let her in and out of the box as she pleases.

Please do advice me on baby Piffy. I have read some basic caresheets and whatnot, and i suppose I know some basics, but what i'm afraid of is doing something wrong because i dont KNOW they are wrong. I mean, baby bunnies are much more vulnerable than dogs and turtles to which i'm accustomed, aren't they?

may8--0002.jpg

Here's little Piffy sleeping in a corner of her box the first day she got home.

may8--0005.jpg

The first thing the little one did upon being let out of her box was .... to look into her box from a different perspective :expressionless

may8--0007.jpg

And then she started exploring. I'm a bit worried about her apparent love for nibbling on the carpet. I'm sure that can't be good...should I remove the carpet, or should I just trust that she won't ingest carpet fiber?

And more exploring on my desk while I did my own things. She later fell asleep in the basket. I've cleared the basket of the knick-knacks, lined it with soft cloth and given it to her now.
may8--0016.jpg

But isn't mummy's lap still the best place in the world to sleep?

may8--0018.jpg

About this much *stretches arms wide* which is just a little more than how much I love those pics!

Welcome to the forum!

Aw how cute! She's adorable! I've just been doing internet research about bunnies, and I've had them before so I know a little bit. A wire cage would be easier to clean ;-) I made mine for under $10 from wire and fencing I got at lowes. PM me if you want directions!

Welcome to RO forums.
You're baby bun is just adorable!
You might find this link informative:
House Rabbit Society:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-6/chew-stick.html

Just be careful that the opening your baby bun sticks his head through can be cleared safely. They can really squeeze through small openings, but if they panic at learning they can't get back out and get stuck, you could have her injure herself. Rabbits will panic very easily if they sense they are trapped and can seriously injure themselves.

I've heard that too much ingestion of cloth thread could cause blockage, so you may want to watch that (really let her free feed on Timothy hay, it will keep her GI happy & running smoothly - it also will keep hairballs away as they cannot regurgitate them back up like cats do).

Another informative site:
http://www.mnhouserabbit.org/care/toys.html

Enjoy your new bunny and please ask questions here if you need - I have learned SO much from everyone on this forum - I would've been lost without it!

Welcome to the forum... and to life with a bunny! :D

Congratulations on your new addition! She's gorgeous!

You've definitely come to the right place to learn everything about bunnies!

Piffy is 100% adorable. I'm so glad she has found her way into your home and your heart. Rabbits are such special creatures. She looks very happy.

About the carpet--my Tony loves to eat carpet fringe. It's not good for them to ingest cloth, so I fold the fringe under the rug. If she's just chewing on it, it's fine. Ingesting it isn't good. The litterbox looks good--are you using wood stove pellets? Feline pine? These are good, cheap, safe litters. Make sure she has fresh grass hay at all times. We can also help in the Nutrition and Behavior section to make sure Piffy gets the right kind of nutrition.

Welcome to the forum! You've found a place where people really love bunnies, so you're in good company!

Latest posts

Back