How many rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
What would you think if I wanted to own three rabbits?

-I have a very large house. 1,500 square feet. -I have spent 80 dollars on bunny proofing the wires so that they don't get hurt. -My family members are okay with getting three rabbits. -I have three books on rabbits that I am reading right now and I have done research on them on the internet. -my husband and I work different shifts so the rabbits will always have someone home with them. -I have one other pet bird so my responsibilities at home are not huge in regards to other commitments. -We are prepared financially to care for the rabbits, including regular vet visits, nail trimmings (and the rabbits that we are looking at are all spayed/neutered! -We are also prepared to spend whatever time we need to introduce the rabbits and for the possibility that they may not like eachother-they can have seperate cages. And the best part is I found two that are already bonded at the Humane's society. They are sister and brother and they are very attached to one another. Oh and another great thing that I found is an awesome vet! She is my friend actually and I didn't even know that it would work out that way, I just phoned the vet and asked for the best person to deal with rabbits. And she came on the phone but I didn't know it was her. And I asked her those questions that the house rabbit society suggested to ask in trying to find a good vet that knew a lot about rabbits. And she knew her stuff! She also has a rabbit too. Oh and I am prepared to get all the toys they need, wicker things, healthy treats all the hay they need. Oh and they will get plenty of exercise. And will have enormous cages when they do have to be caged. All time around the house will be supervised at first. And I am willing to do whatever they need for litter training if needed.

The other rabbit is from someone who is giving him away. and comes with all supplies. I will quarentine him and get him a full check up. So what do you think? Will it be irresponsible to get three?

Tell me your thoughts,

Shannon

I would say that is a personal preference thing, and also depends on what you think you can handle. However, if you haven't had any rabbits before, I would start out with the two that are bonded, see how that goes and take it from there.

When we got our first bunny I did a lot of research and thought the whole thing would be very simple. He turned out to be a troublemaker though, and still keeps me on my toes! Now we have two and I don't think I could handle any more than that. That's just my personal preference though, and there are a lot of members on here who have much more than just two! ;)

I got 3 to start out with. As long as you think that you can handle them. I might get the bonded pair then add on another later on. Or maybe you can find a bonded trio!

I would get 2 to start as long as they are bonded. If you can find a bonded trio, then go for it. You should get a pair and then get used to them before getting another rabbit. Although you have done your research, you don't know what having a pair will do to your life. You may not be ready to have one pair, let alone 3 in 2 cages. It will be a lot of work to get used to very fast. It would be best to take it slowly. If after a few months, you decide that you can handle a third rabbit, then by all means go for it. You don't want to get in over your head.

With your situation, if you are set on getting 3, get the single one first or the pair first. Then wait at least a week before getting the other. Then you can get aquainted with them before adding another. I will also be easier to adjust for you.

I don't think it is irresponsibe to have 3 rabbit (as I have 3) as long as you can properly care for all of them. There are many people on this forum who have more than 2 rabbits. So long as you have the time, space and money to support 3 rabbits, then it is not irresponsible.

I might start with two then add another one down the line too. But i think it is totally up to you on how many you think you can handle and take into consideration everything (which i have to say you have a good head start with the things you have already considered)

If you can handle and afford it , then you arent responsible.

I have a sister in law that had two dogs and a cat and was a very irresponsible animal owner , and still is, I had thrree cats, three dogs, bearded dragon, two birds and a hamster and i ran circles around her,lol. Different people have different levels that they are comfortable with you need to find out where you will do best and stay there.

The single rabbit is the one that spoke to you isn't it? That's kept in a cage in a room by itself at the moment?

I think that if you think you can handle it, and you have the money and time, then it's not irresponsible at all, as long as you're sure that you can handle it. We were, and thought very long and hard before getting a second pair of buns, and it is more work, but to be honest I didn't find it that much more of a strain, but that's just me I guess. My partner does a lot as well, so it's not all me, which makes it easier...

And, like you said, you're prepared for the fact that they may not bond into a trio, and might have to live separately, and will keep them despite that, which is good..

And, like it's been said, there are people on here who have many more than 3, many many more, and cope fine, so it definately can be done! :D

It sounds like you have really done a lot of research and preparation. As long as you have the money, time, and realize that you may not be able to work them into a bonded trio...I say go for it. I agree that it might be wise to start with just the pair or the solo for a week or two...then add the other(s).

Have you ever had rabbits in the past? If not, you may want to start with the single bunny and get used to handling a rabbit.

I wish you the best. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

~Mary Ellen

Trios can be TOUGH to bond. I don't know what I would do in this situation personally. The single bun really needs someone to help him out, but so does the bonded pair. Pairs are a lot less likely to get adopted. Maybe, though, since the singleton has been deprived of social contact, he'd be very accepting to join a trio with the other two. But three rabbits at once for a first timer is very hard. We have three, but one is technically my bf's, and we got them all at separate times. I was overwhelmed when I got my first bunny, even though I had done some research (hadn't found this forum yet, so you're at least one step ahead of me there).

I say that you should either get the pair or the single, whichever you want more/think needs you more. Once you feel comfortable with that(those) bunny(ies), get the other. Remember, you can't save them all.

In addition, I don't reccomend getting rabbits that you HAVE to have bonded because of space constraints, unless the rabbits pick each other on bunny dates. Some rabbits are just not going to get along, and if you want to have all your bunnies together or need to due to the space, you need the rabbits to like each other at first to have a hope of bonding.

Here's my take: Get all three if you are ok with having them separate, just in case bonding doesn't work. Start with either the single or the pair, wait a week or two at least to see how comfortable you are with it, and if you still feel like it, get the other.

I love rabbits soo soo much! No I haven't had rabbits ever before. I have had cats and dogs. And I have not had any cats or dogs for so long because I am allergic. But for some reasonrabbits don't seem to bug my allergry. Which is weird.

I have been visiting the rabbit at the Humane's society. He is so lonely because his sister is in the clinic part of the Humane's society. Still being watched and not approved for adoption. He looks so sad and lonely. I take him out of his cage and go visit him in the room. And when I am not with him I think of him every single day! I phone everyday to see if his sister is approved for adoption so that as soon as she is I will go down.

If it were my choice I would probably get 6 rabbits! But we can't over do it can we? My husband and I are building rabbit condos. And we have a huge wooden cage for another rabbit that we might build on to the condo. So we are well supplied with cages.

Latest posts

Back