How many of you clip your buns nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hummer

Reaction score
like me? I am had to call myregular vet about my dog Calvin for a skin condition he has and justhappened to ask the receptionist if they clip rabbit nails and she saidyes. In fact she and a couple of other ladies who work therealso have rabbits so there is a level of comfort for me to take herthere. So I am bringing in a 75 lb dog and a 3-4 lb rabbitand both will get their nails clipped! No more click clickclicks on the wood floors! :colors:

It's pretty easy to clip Pipp's nails, she's not much bigger than a beer can.:D

The foster bun is a bit more difficult, but if I tuck himclose to my chest, I can usually get at least one foot done before herealizes what's going on.;)

Good set of clippers help.

Neither trance, and I don't do their back feet. (I assumethey wear down on their own,but I really should double check).

SAS

I do both Misty and Cookie's myself.

Although I used to take Cookie to the pet store to have his done there.

I do my rabbit's feet, along with my cats'claws. However, I do get a bit nervous doing my dog's claws as she hasvery thick, tough black nails and the quick is quite long in them(discovered this after a mishap a few years ago when I accidentally cutinto the quick). As a rule I don't clip Kaya's claws now, as they seemto wear down enough on their own - though I do have to trim thedewclaws every so often. So far this winter Raph's (my rabbit) clawshave been wearing down pretty well on their own, but I have had to trimthem a couple of times since I've had him.

My dog Calvin just does not like it when I dohis, every now and then I feel brave enough to attempt it but he is alittle bit of a wimp! (I think he will need a sweater for theeast coast!;)) My cat Hobbes, well if I bring out theclippers, she gets mad at me but she will listen and stay until I amdone, then as soon as she is let go she acts as if nothing everhappened! And Miffy, well she is not a rabbit who likes to bepicked up, if I pet her from tip of nose to tail for about 10-15minutes, she might let me pick her up 2 inches of the ground for about2 seconds and that is it. The last time I had her nailsclipped, the tech did tell me to start touching her feet alot, which Ihave been but I think I will do more now.

Well, I'm a wimp. I get a few nails done, somebunny tries to jump, I get scared, then I give in and call the vet:shock:

yeah i don't do my bun nails. i got too scaredof it. i never did it. Chester had his nails clip once and that timewas when she went to the vet (her 1st vist btw). she just needed acheck up so we know she is ok for spaying and all that stuff. but alsoi call the vet for nail clipping. and just a warning for anyone whodoes this or wants try this nail clipping at home. there is bloodvessels in the feet. chester bleeded a little but vet clean it up.

Out of 8 bunnies we can manage to clip 6 of them.

Rosie-roo is just a bit too aggressive :X, and Tootsie is just a bittoo BIG:shock:. Both of them will probably end up at the vets forclipping.

~Jim

I got one paw pretty much done on Boo and that's it. I'm still sort of afraid to do it.

Pipp wrote:
Neither trance, and I don't do their back feet. (Iassume they wear down on their own,but I really should doublecheck).
It might depend on how they like to play, but my four seem to wear down their front nails more than their back nails.

I'm a big advocate of having one person hold while another clips, if you have a second person. It's so much easier!

My friend is a veterinary nurse so she does itfor me when she comes to visit. It is easier on lightcoloured bunnies as they usually have pale claws and you can see thequick, but if they are like nora and have black claws you have to bepretty careful.

when I brought Beans to the vet for a check-up iasked him to cut her nails. it looked so easy so i bought aclippers and decided to try and do Rice myself. She's a supercalm bunny and it was easy. then when it was time to do Beansagain, i decided to try her myself as well......totallydifferent! she is a pyscho bunny! have to take herto vet for her nails.:(

I clip all of ours. Once you've done, say, a hundred or so it's easy. If you're nervous don't cut much at a time as you get braver you can go closer. I promise, it's ok.

Kat

Pipp wrote:
It's pretty easy to clip Pipp's nails, she's not much bigger than a beer can.:D
Pebbles sits in my arm while I hold one paw with one hand and cut with the other.

It becomes a game with her, where she pulls her paw back when I try to hold it out, but she is pretty calm about it. Couple of times I did catch the quick, and I was more panicked than she was. I tend to cut less off now but am getting pretty efficient with it. The hardest part is getting the dew nails.

Rainbows! :)

alfie and angel wrote:
I didn't think it could be so bad... I still have the scars to prove how wrong i was.

Now I let my sweetie try to disembowel the vet instead
:rofl: Excellent idea! At least the Vet is being PAID to be disemboweled!
I have always cut all my buns nails. Nick is fairly easy.
But Maggie... :foreheadsmack: she is another story. I've only did her once since I got her in September. She was abused, and has some issues with being picked up and 'held against her will'. - to put it mildly...
But she has come a long way with alot of TLC. So I hope the next clipping will be a bit smoother!

Well, we are back and her nails are gone, they clipped them farther than the other place too. I guess she was good for them, did not hear any screams of pain. And the price was cheaper than the last place I paid $15 and here (my regular vet) it was $10. I just wish the dog was that cheap, for his visit and meds it came to $114! :shock: Thank goodness my senior citizen kitty is healthy!

naturestee wrote:
I'm a big advocate of having one person hold while another clips, if you have a second person. It's so much easier!
I agree. That's how I do Pernod and Perry's. Pernod hates being held anyway (hubby gets that job :D). Perry isn't so bad, he just gets a really worried look on his little face!

Jan

I do Toby's myself, but I take the girls to the vet's. Baby is too"slippery" and Snuggy just refuses to let me do it.I've tried everything. Even the bunny burrito didn't work.

My vet clips nails for free on Tuesdays! We went yesterday.

Laura

Back