how Many cups of vegetables per day for a mini rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetjenessa

Reaction score
I understand that you don't introduce veggies until rabbit is about 2 months?

I have a mini Rex bunny, and since I got him I been doing major research on how to keep him healthly.
Seems like EVERY site I read, information is always different, and now I'm slightly pissed.

Soo how many Cups of vegetables should my bunny eat daily???

I here one cup, then read somewhere two cups, now I'm hearing 4 cups.. this is soooo confussing!
I want to feed him correctly, but what is correct is everywhere I read there's tones of information, I even read somewhere that you should not! Feed vegetables. Ugh too confusing
Please help.

You should introduce veggies at 12 weeks unless you know that the mother ate varied greens while pregnant :)

I rely on rabbit.org for my information, RO has diet info too in the care section. According to rabbit.org, you introduce vegetables one at a time starting when they reach 12 weeks, at an amount of less than 1/2 oz at a time. You slowly increase (both in amount and variance) to 2 cups per 6lbs of bun by the time they are 7 months :D

There is a lot of conflicting information because there are many different ways to raise rabbits. Some raise for showing, breeding, outdoor, or indoor pets. I choose rabbit.org because they focus on house bunnies, which is what my girls are, and therefore meet the needs for my buns :)

Is it ok to give her little tastes here and there?
I been giving her some, mustard greens & carrots,
She seems fine, she also learned how to "spin & stand" by giving her treats (veggie) ;)

Well, I'd wouldn't increase the amounts for a few weeks, but if she hasn't gotten diarrhea from them, they're probably OK.

Once they're full grown, the diet can vary from one rabbit to another & from season to season; like more greens when they are in season & more pellets when greens aren't in season.

Diet is a very controversial area of bunny care, so you will see lots of different recommendations. It is actually a good idea to give your bunny very tiny tastes of different vegetables as this helps the digestive tract develop the flora needed for digesting those foods.

Some mini-rexes are sensitive to greens and get soft stools if they are given too much, so even as he gets older I would increase amounts very slowly and probably incline to no more than a cup a day.

Latest posts

Back