How many bunnies to bond?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrichard2

Reaction score
Need some advice. Is it better to bond a trio or more rabbits? I’ve heard that it’s easier to bond more but could anyone with first-hand experience answer to this idea?

I know that usually it depends on personality, plus or minus a few factors.

I currently have two Netherland Dwarf ( male and female) and a French Lop (male). The female already gets along with both males separately. So, I’m uncertain if the trio doesn’t work out, should I try another bun with the potential to have two pairs OR four together? Or would a bun be ok alone while knowing there are two buns bonded nearby?

Hi there, I have bonded many rabbits before. Its very different with each ones personality. I personally have never had any problems with bonding pairs and i would definately reccomend bonding pairs as they are the easiest. If you bond 3 there may be a chance that they fight or 2 leave the third one out. Therefore, I would bond in with either even numbers. Hope that helped!

Hi there, I have bonded many rabbits before. Its very different with each ones personality. I personally have never had any problems with bonding pairs and i would definately reccomend bonding pairs as they are the easiest. If you bond 3 there may be a chance that they fight or 2 leave the third one out. Therefore, I would bond in with either even numbers. Hope that helped!
Yes! This helps. Thank you for you input :)

Trios can be iffy, but not impossible. It just depends on the rabbits. I had a trio for a short time, and all 3 got along. I had a fourth that I wanted to bond in, but she wouldn't get along with one rabbit in the trio, so I had to split into two pairs as I didn't want to leave her on her own. But there are others that have had adding a third to a pair, cause problems. So it's if you are willing to take the risk of the possibility of breaking the bond of your pair.

I've also had a larger group of 6, than 7, and that can have it's advantages and disadvantages. The advantage was that with more rabbits, it was easier for each rabbit to have one or more buddies. The disadvantage was they tended to have messier litter habits than my pairs.

Here's some info on bonding and bonding trios/groups.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Trios can be iffy, but not impossible. It just depends on the rabbits. I had a trio for a short time, and all 3 got along. I had a fourth that I wanted to bond in, but she wouldn't get along with one rabbit in the trio, so I had to split into two pairs as I didn't want to leave her on her own. But there are others that have had adding a third to a pair, cause problems. So it's if you are willing to take the risk of the possibility of breaking the bond of your pair.

I've also had a larger group of 6, than 7, and that can have it's advantages and disadvantages. The advantage was that with more rabbits, it was easier for each rabbit to have one or more buddies. The disadvantage was they tended to have messier litter habits than my pairs.

Thank you!!

@JBun also, just curious. How did you go about bonding 7 bunnies? I would love to have that in the future. How long did it take you? How many males and females?

I have a large grow out cage (30"x10') that babies and moms go in once everyone is moving around well and eating solid food.

Right now have 1 mom + 8 kits, 5 females around 4-5lbs / rabbit. About to add another mom + kits once I move the"grown out" buns.

Haven't found that anyone messes with the babies and once grown already fine with each other. Sometimes have to break up the adults, but just right when put in. After a minute or they don't seem to care about getting. No adult males in that cage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aWhW1w54jJ2KD42t9

@JBun also, just curious. How did you go about bonding 7 bunnies? I would love to have that in the future. How long did it take you? How many males and females?

It started with a female rabbit I got that was pregnant. She had 5 babies(2 girls, 3 boys) and I couldn't bear to not keep them. I couldn't get them all fixed at the start. But I didn't have any problems with the mom and daughters getting along, so they had supervised time together before being fixed.

Then I got 2 of the males neutered and the mom and a daughter spayed and once the males had several weeks for the hormones to fade, I was lucky and pretty much just put them all together and they all got along. All but one male.

I tried to get him neutered and his heart stopped. I was too nervous about it to try again for a while, so he had to be on his own for a year before I was able to feel brave enough to try again, and at a better rabbit vet. He was neutered without any problems this time.

When he was ready to be bonded into the group, his introduction was the hardest of them all. I ended up having to separate the top bun of the group, his bigger brother, and bond the two of them before I could then bond him with the rest of the group.

So it was 6 of them for about 3 to 4 years. Then Toby died from a genetic health issue. So it was 5 of them for a while, then I moved and my living circumstances made it so my pair had to be bonded with the group of 5. I had tried this in the past but the female in the pair was bossy and clashed with the mom rabbit who was the boss of the group when Toby died. But after a few years the bossy girl in the pair developed cataracts and was essentially blind, so couldn't see well enough to chase anyone any more, so it became pretty easy to bond her and her bunny bud(Henry) into the group.

I bonded in Henry, which pretty much involved just putting him with them, so a very easy bond. Then Penny was bonded in. She couldn't see, so she didn't try and chase anyone anymore, and Penny was twice the size of the bunnies in the group(all dwarf rabbits), so they just accepted her in. Plus all of these rabbits were 7 years old, so a little less inclined to get into scraps. But to get to this point of all of my rabbits being in a group, took Penny getitng cataracts, or it never would have been possible because of having two dominant females.

Though I did like having a combined group, I don't know that I would ever do more than a pair again. Because of a group dynamic, marking behavior was pretty pervasive all of the years. They started out messy leaving poop balls everywhere, and sometimes pee puddles, and it persisted. Penny who later got added into the group, had great litter habits until she became part of the group. This was the experience with my group at least. I don't know if it's always the case.

Last edited:
It started with a female rabbit I got that was pregnant. She had 5 babies(2 girls, 3 boys) and I couldn't bear to not keep them. I couldn't get them all fixed at the start. But I didn't have any problems with the mom and daughters getting along, so they had supervised time together before being fixed.

Then I got 2 of the males neutered and the mom and a daughter spayed and once the males had several weeks for the hormones to fade, I was lucky and pretty much just put them all together and they all got along. All but one male.

I tried to get him neutered and his heart stopped. I was too nervous about it to try again for a while, so he had to be on his own for a year before I was able to feel brave enough to try again, and at a better rabbit vet. He was neutered without any problems this time.

When he was ready to be bonded into the group, his introduction was the hardest of them all. I ended up having to separate the top bun of the group, his bigger brother, and bond the two of them before I could then bond him with the rest of the group.

So it was 6 of them for about 3 to 4 years. Then Toby died from a genetic health issue. So it was 5 of them for a while, then I moved and my living circumstances made it so my pair had to be bonded with the group of 5. I had tried this in the past but the female in the pair was bossy and clashed with the mom rabbit who was the boss of the group when Toby died. But after a few years the bossy girl in the pair developed cataracts and was essentially blind, so couldn't see well enough to chase anyone any more, so it became pretty easy to bond her and her bunny bud(Henry) into the group.

I bonded in Henry, which pretty much involved just putting him with them, so a very easy bond. Then Penny was bonded in. She couldn't see, so she didn't try and chase anyone anymore, and Penny was twice the size of the bunnies in the group(all dwarf rabbits), so they just accepted her in. Plus all of these rabbits were 7 years old, so a little less inclined to get into scraps. But to get to this point of all of my rabbits being in a group, took Penny getitng cataracts, or it never would have been possible because of having two dominant females.

Though I did like having a combined group, I don't know that I would ever do more than a pair again. Because of a group dynamic, marking behavior was pretty pervasive all of the years. They started out messy leaving poop balls everywhere, and sometimes pee puddles, and it persisted. Penny who later got added into the group, had great litter habits until she became part of the group. This was the experience with my group at least. I don't know if it's always the case.
Oh wow! What a story. Glad to hear everything worked out ok in the end. Thank you so much for taking the time to share that. Each bonding story helps me. :)

Latest posts

Back