How long until rabbit eats after spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shubox

Reaction score
I went ahead with my rabbit's spay surgery today since my vet said she seemed lively and healthy. The surgery went fine (though they said she was a major pain and very sassy) and she's been home for four hours now. I'm guessing she's still loopy from the gas, but she isn't touching any food. I left out all of her fav treats and nothing. She's moving more now, and seems to be trying to find a comfy position to lay in. She seems mostly alert and comfortable.

How long does it usually take buns to eat after a spay?

My bun ate a couple hours after her spay. She would just nibble though. If she doesnt eat for 12 hrs or longer I would call a vet immediately.

Have you tried offering greens like green leaf lettuce, cilantro, parsley(preferably ones she is already used to eating)? That's usually what I have the best luck getting them to eat after surgery. It's not unusual for them to not want to eat for the first 12 hours, but if she isn't eating by tomorrow then I would give your vet a call as you don't want rabbits to go more than 24 hours without eating, so you may need to start syringe feeding then.

Have you tried offering greens like green leaf lettuce, cilantro, parsley(preferably ones she is already used to eating)? That's usually what I have the best luck getting them to eat after surgery. It's not unusual for them to not want to eat for the first 12 hours, but if she isn't eating by tomorrow then I would give your vet a call as you don't want rabbits to go more than 24 hours without eating, so you may need to start syringe feeding then.

I gave her cilantro, tangerine, and pellets. Usually she goes nuts for them. I'll keep a close eye on her and if nothing is gone we'll go back to the vet

ALSO. The vet technician told me to give her her pain meds a few hours after the surgery. With all my other rabbits they told me to wait until the next morning. I don't want her overdosing, but should I give her the meds as directed or wait until morning?

I would give them. When to give pain meds post surgery depends on what they have already given at the vet office, so it sounds like they either didn't already give it or it wasn't a long lasting pain medication.

I tried to give the meds but she was very uninterested. She drank maybe half and the rest dribbled onto her fur. As for food I found she will drink a water/pellet mush out of the syringe and she had about two full syringes worth. Tried to sneak in some meloxicam but I couldn't trick her. Any tips for getting her to take her meds?

I tried to give the meds but she was very uninterested. She drank maybe half and the rest dribbled onto her fur. As for food I found she will drink a water/pellet mush out of the syringe and she had about two full syringes worth. Tried to sneak in some meloxicam but I couldn't trick her. Any tips for getting her to take her meds?
Maybe try mixing in a LITTLE banana , applesauce without sugar in it , whatever soft food she likes , i've never had to give my rabbits medication , but i did have to give my piggie medication .

My rabbits LOVE meloxicam, so never had a problem giving it. For meds they don't like, I usually just hold them, put the syringe into the corner of the mouth, and squirt it in slowly enough that they have time to swallow so it's not aspirated. Burrito wrapping buns that wiggle too much is also an option. I've never had one that just let it drip out the mouth. For that, squirting in a little bit at a time as each bit is chewed and swallowed, might be necessary.

My rabbits LOVE meloxicam, so never had a problem giving it. For meds they don't like, I usually just hold them, put the syringe into the corner of the mouth, and squirt it in slowly enough that they have time to swallow so it's not aspirated. Burrito wrapping buns that wiggle too much is also an option. I've never had one that just let it drip out the mouth. For that, squirting in a little bit at a time as each bit is chewed and swallowed, might be necessary.

The vet called to check up on her today and she said the same. Im so nervous to handle her because she tends to wiggle and kick and I'm worried she'll pop a stitch. Wish me luck tonight

It's only a few hours away from the 24 hour mark. I've manage to give her water that has pellet mush mixed in, and this morning she ate 3 or 4 strands of hay. I'm hoping when i get home more of the food is gone because she was sniffing at it but seemed unsure. She also left me about 15 normalish looking poops over night.

So....good news?

Any eating and pooping is a good sign. Though after 24 hours they really need to be eating and drinking a decent amount so their digestion keeps moving enough that you don't risk stasis setting in.

Any eating and pooping is a good sign. Though after 24 hours they really need to be eating and drinking a decent amount so their digestion keeps moving enough that you don't risk stasis setting in.

She seems mostly back to normal. Do you know how long I'm supposed to keep her penned up in her cage? I don't want her to run and hurt her incision but I also don't want her to get too bored

This is info your vet should have given you, but usually minimum for spays is 10-14 days restricted activity. I would do 14 just because it's a major surgery and you really don't want them having too much space and getting too rambunctious before they have had a chance to really heal internally.

Back