How long until a mother rabbit feeds her babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clara W

Reaction score
Hi, my lop gave birth about 20 hours ago. I’ve checked on the bubs three times now and theyre all alive and well; so far so good. Just a few minutes ago, I gently took one out to see if it was fed and it didn’t have that nice plump tummy i’m hoping to see. Above that, the second I moved the fur the whole litter started squirming upwards which tells me she hasn’t started feeding at all.

How long until she feeds? Should I interfere if they’re not fed by tomorrow morning? When should I be concerned?

Additional info...
She is in a dark room, within a puppy play pen by herself with an excessive amount of Timothy hay, alfalfa based pellets and water. All the bubs (five) are in a nest topped with more fur than i’ve ever seen. Her instincts seemed to be working great pre-birth but now could she be uninterested and abandon her kits? I realize this is a “time can only tell” situation, but i’m just looking for some advice. :) Thanks!

Back