How long has my rabbit been pregnant for?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaMoore

Reaction score
Hello my rabbit has accidentally gotten pregnant so I didnt mark down the date the breed or anything.

I would like a rough estimation of when she might give birth so i can give her a nesting box and everything?

The signs she is showing currently are:

Swollen nipples
Very small chunks of hair (Maybe 2-3 chunks each day for the past 2 days)
Drinking alot
Doesnt like being picked up as much
Sleeps a lot & is very lazy
Grooming a lot more then normal (my other bunny cleans himself a lot less and they have the same living conditions)
I havent tried palpating yet incase she is in the early stages, I dont want to hurt the kits.

Thats all I can remember at the moment.

Thanks! :hug2:

As young as she is, and being a first timer, there's really no way of knowing. Gestation is approx 31 days though. If you can narrow it down to a week then give her a box and extra hay one week before you think she's due. She may or may not use it. It's not unusual for young first timers to lose their first litter, usually because they don't know what to do, and there's only so much you can do for her.

It'll be hard to determine the exact date of the breeding, so you may just need to guess :)

Just give her a nesting box and hope for the best! As said before, first time mothers are not always to best :(

If you remember seeing them breeding at all, that could give you a clue as to when she became pregnant.

Goodluck!

Ok thank you very much guys!
What are the best ways to decrease the chances of the kits dying and if its a good idea to hand raise any of them?

Thanks c:

It's a bit hard - you really just need to make sure that she builds a nest and feeds them.

If she gives birth during the night outside of the nest, chances are that they won't be alive when you find them.

There isn't much you can do if she makes a mistake.

Hand raising should really be your last option. It is not easy at all and takes so much time. No human can do a job better than a good bunny mother. If there really is no other choice, you could hand raise, but be aware that the survival rate is pretty low :(

Hi, I have raised a litter of 3, two survived.

The cause of death of the little 3 baby was a issue where babies start to transition off mums milk and onto pellets and solids.

I have been a breeder my whole life and hand raising should be A LAST RESORT ONLY! It is very hard and like said above no human can do a better job then there own bunny mum!

Also because it was a brother sister mating and she is quite young survival rate of the Doe (mother) and the kits is very low, the kits will probably come out as peanuts or severely deformed babies. Also if she doesn't make a proper nest or she doesn't even make one chances of survival are slim. Also if she gives birth outside the nest/ sleeping area they will die there is no ifs or buts about it a little new born kit can not survive in the cold alone.

Also you will have to have the proper rabbit milk replacement powder and will need to have it at the right temp and feed them 2-3 times a day which is hard due to commitments, you need to help them pee you need to bring is some of the does poos for them to eat. I prefer to buy oxbow baby rabbit pellets as they help with growth a lot. You need to buy special materials and everything! Just let mum handle it!

I am a breeder and it was hard for me so I doubt they will survive if you hand raise. Also you will need to buy another cage to keep them indoors because the whole reason that you would hand raise them is to keep mum from hurting them and you can't just shove them back with mum when you get tired of them you become there new mum!

Please don't hand raise :( it has more cons than pros

Ok thank you very much! Would it be a good idea to bring her inside for the rest of her pregnancy?

It's not really necessary to bring her inside if you aren't having extreme temps. Given the circumstances, though, you may want to bring her inside when you give her a nestbox, so you can watch her behavior closer.

I would leave her outside, she would be going through a lot of stress (just being separated from litter mate, pregnancy) moving her into a new environment would not be a wise option as this would cause more stress.

Latest posts

Back