How long does molting normally take?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is Christine. It's that time ofyear. Keep them brushed daily at these times to avoid G.I.Stasis. Each rabbit seems to vary as to howlongtheir molting stage lasts. Fauna's goesquickly, while Tucker drags on and on. Be sure they're eatingplenty of fiber: timothy hay.

-Carolyn

OK, that makes me feel better, I knew thatPeanut, m.e.'s rabbit was still molting also so I wasn't too concerned,but I thought it best to ask anyway... And they eat tons of hay so I'mnot really overly worried about GI Status too much, though I'm stillkeeping a close eye on them.

~Christine~

Yeah, Umbra's sheddingseems to go quite quickly. But when it comes, itcomes! Especially this time around. I don't knowwhy, but it just seemed to be worse this time than usual. Ohwell, at least it's over.

--Melissa and Umbra

How long does it take?

FOREVER!!! :X:X:X

hehehe...sorry, it seems like my squirts have been shedding nonstop!

lol :p

Rose

u8myhouse wrote:
OK, that makes me feel better, I knew that Peanut, m.e.'s rabbitwas still molting also so I wasn't too concerned, but I thought it bestto ask anyway... And they eat tons of hay so I'm not really overlyworried about GI Status too much, though I'm still keeping a close eyeon them.

~Christine~

That's the way Tucker was. He'd eat hay before he'd eat his pellets. Inthe end, I found out that GI Stasis is a virus. Just like some peopleare more prone to catching colds, some rabbits are more prone tocatching the virus.

Fauna wasn't fed any hay the first 4.5 years of her life until I gother. She is my rescue. If she had had a problem, the family she livedwith wouldn't have taken care of it.

Tucker has been with me since he's 8 weeks old. He's had unlimited hay,yadda yadda yadda. He's the one that suffers GI Stasis. It could beinherited, it could be his own makeup, it could be that he gets a bitstressed when the weather changes, who knows. He has no other stressesthat I can imagine.

What I do know is that every rabbit is suspeptible to it, regardless oftheir care. Sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not; that goesboth for rabbits that are more prone to catching the virus as well asif your rabbit pulls through when it hits.

-Carolyn

What kind of brush should I use to brush thebunny? He has one made from metal, so I think it can hurt him since hehas short fur.

No answers to the brush question BUT..Jezebel isstarting to look like an unbaked coffee cake (which, if anyone has everseen one-is not too delicious looking LOL) It's a littleinteresting since this is her first REAL cold winter with me, (herfirst 'winter' was in Taiwan and she shed year round) so hopefully Ican post some of her more attractive *cough cough* pictures later :p

Cher

P.S. When do we get those attractive Tucker molting pictures? *grin grin*

Hi AnnaS,

I use the one on the far left with the wire.? I am aware of it hurtingmy baby's?skin as well, so I do go lightly.? Don't have to press hardfor it to be effective.? It takes me a few more strokes of the brush toget the dead hair out, but that's fine.? I brush until there'sbasically little hair to remove from the brush.

You can also take a paper towel, wet it, squeeze it out reallywell with water until it's practically dry, and then wipe the rabbitdown.? Your rabbit shouldn't be wet when it's over, but the moisture inthe towel will take hair out.?

You really want to make sure that you don't leave the rabbit wet.? It'svery important to their health that they remain dry, and especiallythat the fur near the skin be absolutely dry so that parasites, flies,bacteria, or a chill?aren't attracted to the area.

-Carolyn

Thanks, I think I'll stick to the wet paper towel.
I am afraid of hurting him with brushing.
I usually just wet my hands slightly and pet him and this helps too. He does not have that much fur.

I love the look on his face in this picture!

attachment.php

Those lines are where God sewed him.

:)

-Carolyn

My little son just seen Tucker and called himLuv. I can see where he would get confused. Kindathe same coloring but not not totally the same. I told himhow Tucker was really sick and got better and he did a loud yeah!!!! Heloves animals.

Cristy

What a Love your son is!

Give him a big smooch for me, Cristy!

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back