How long do rabbits have their baby coat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3willowsbunny

Reaction score
Stewie is soooooo soft but due to the fact that he is only 12 weeks old I know this is his baby coat, when will he start getting his "big boy" coat?

I imagine it varies a bit, but my girls both blue their juvenile coat while they recovering from their spays, which would've made them 5 months old at the time. I really didn't see any difference between Gaz (my Holland)'s baby and adult coats; Nala (my lionhead)'s coat stayed just as silky-soft... however, she turned out to be a single maned lionhead, not a double, so she lost her skirt and her mane thinned out a TON when she got her adult coat.

Smaller breeds typically go through their second molt at about 4-6 months old, larger breeds usually 6-8 months. This is when the coat starts transitioning, but sometimes it takes another molt or two to fully lose their juvenile coat.

As a pet owner (unless you breed/show too), you may not notice a drastic difference in the coat. The first molt typically happens around 8 weeks or so, so that very undeveloped baby coat is usually on its way out by the time they change hands. The difference in the older coats is usually more obvious to the trained eye (that's looking for show qualities on coat and condition). It probably won't feel a whole lot different otherwise. They are still soft and fluffy. :)

Back