How happy are you with your rabbits behaviorial characterstics?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryng

Reaction score
Personally, I know having an animal (my ex cat) behavioral problems is a nightmare.

I have been very lucky with my rabbits.

First, I will talk about how lucky I am with my rabbits.

Bagel, my last rabbit, loved to cuddle and had decent litter box habit. I was very happy with her.

Peanut, my current rabbit, loves to cuddle even more and has better litter box habits then Bagel. I'm very happy with Peanut.

Now, I will talk about my ex cat Pooky. She was a good cat for the first 2 and a half years I had.

She was an mostly outdoor cat spending between 3-8 hours outside and returning to eat , sleep and for attention. The problem began when Pooky developed a very bad habit of sitting on people cars. Because of that bad habit, I had to keep indoors 24/7. This is when my nightmare started with Pooky .

Pooky began to pee and poop on my carpeted stairwell . She peed and pood in the exact same place everyday for three months. I did EVERYTHING I could to try and change this habit. I had to give her up to the pound.

How happy are you with your rabbits behaviors? Share the good , bad and ugly.

I am very lucky too. Agnes is a sweetie pie!

She loves me, loves to cuddle. Follows me around like a puppy, jumps on my lap, loves the head massages I give her :)

She kisses me, I can pick her up, carry her around, put her on her back, groom her etc with no complaints from her.

She has near perfect litterbox habits. Only accidents is a few on my couch in this one spot. But everywhere else perfect. She hasn't peed on the couch in awhile. She just got spayed so hasn't been on it.

She isn't a big chewer. Leaves the carpet, furniture amd walls alone.

She doesn't grunt, bite, thump etc or any bossy traits towards me.

Overall, she is just an enjoyable bunny. I wuv her!

Teddy is a pretty good rabbit. I have to keep cords out of her reach, but other than that she's not too destructive. She does have a bit of an attitude, she thumps a lot, she's a bit of a drama queen, but honestly it's pretty cute. :hearts:

Hubert is very snuggly, is pretty good with litter box habits, and hasn't bitten anyone or done anything aggressive. He did well at the vet, too. I don't think I am experienced enough to trim his nails and such since he is my first rabbit.

Our dog, Luther, on the other hand, is a hyperactive monstrosity that landed me in the ER several weeks ago.

Shiny Things is cage agressive. When I go to clean the cage 2x daily she lunges and bites the broom. She is a sweet rabbit once you pick her up though. I love her to death.

Beauty is basically a perfect rabbit. She is sweet, loving and cuddly. The ONLY complaint that I have is that she is not PERFECTLY litter box trained yet. I think that is my fault because I have not tried to do teach her. I love this little bunny to death as well. When I need a animal to hug for some reason, I always go to her. She will just let me pick her up and hug her and pet her for a long time.

My dog Cookie has a lot to be desired. She is not house broken. She can be agressive with other animals a lot of the time. She barks like crazy at nothing. She killed my favorite rabbits late last year. She has killed MANY of my chickens. (meat, pet and show). I LOVE her despite everything. She is constantly with me. I would not trade her for anything (except my other dog Angel).

ldoerr wrote:
Shiny Things is cage agressive. When I go to clean the cage 2x daily she lunges and bites the broom. She is a sweet rabbit once you pick her up though. I love her to death.
Might be a better idea to have her out of the cage when you clean. She may begin to resent you for all the intrusions.

With my first two rabbits it was exact opposites

Spice was a super friendly rabbit who was very friendly to small children

Sugar (spice's sister) was a demon and my older brother actually had a fear of her.

these two were actually wild rabbits we saved from a cat.

Coconut was my first domestic rabbit, she was very sweet, litter box trained, and miscievious.

Pippin was frienldy mellow rabbit

Zelda had that sweet old lady way, she was not dominant at all

Oreo was like a grumpy old lady who was very set in her ways

Smokey was at first like Sugar but she did mellow down

Velvet was a shy fragile bun

Palo didn't like being cuddled but was still a good rabbit, got along well with other bucks

Daisy was like Palo, I guess Mini satins share personalities

Suzanne was a super lovey girl loved to cuddle ad basicly let you do whatever you wanted with her.

Lyle miscievious but very loving without Yeti around

Yeti miscievious. Lyle and Yeti were like brothers right away but Yeti was a bad influance but in a funny way

Willow likes things his own way, very dominant, cheeky

Big Louis is a big softy loves to cuddle likes litterboxes but doesn't like to be pushed around by Willow

Opal is very sweet likes to play with balls, is territorial towards other does

Shadow is friendly likes food is photogenitc, is domanint to Kiaya

Kiaya is super sweet and good with children, LOVES cheerios

I guess I have had alot of good rabbits. I love(d) them all very much.

Stevie has a fantastic temperament and is really good about not chewing or getting into things.
He's not a huge cuddler but gets really excited and circles my feet whenever I come home. He loves giving me kisses and will jump into my lap.
He doesn't use his litter box, at all :sigh: but hopefully that will improve after he gets neutered next week.

He also sits under my desk and snuggles up to my feet while I'm studying or on the computer, I love when he does that :hearts my little heart bunny!

Bugsy is the most amazing rabbit I have ever owned. He's more like a dog than a rabbit. He doesnt like to cuddle but will def ask for pets. He is such a calm rabbit. Very sure of himself, not scared of anything. Follows me around the house, lounges right on my couches.. LOVES my kids, and ONLY lets them cuddle (no fair!). As of lately he's been friendly with the dog too, unless the dog takes his spot under the bed, then its war lol. By far Bugsy is my favorite rabbit.

Oreo.. oh my Oreo. She's sweet, when she wants something. She hates being carried, hates being out of her cage, hates when she's free roaming and you want to touch her. Hates when i just sit in front of her cage. She's special. Food is her best friend. Seems like she only cares about me when I have food in my hand, other than that.. she really is a lone bun. Has the "leave me alone" attitude.

I love her, but I have thought about rehoming her on many occasion because of her "I hate you" attitude lol. Dont think I ever will though. I just need to accept she is who she is. Hoping a spay will make her better.

Binks (RIP) : Was good bunny. Didn't like being picked up, but had reasonable litterbox habits. Also couldn't be frightened, fast moves and load noises right by his face never even phased him.

Gigi: A good bun. Good litterbox habits, but will dig if given an overly large litterbox. Very energetic when first getting picked up. Likes to play 'Catch Me'. Once picked up very docile. LOVES to chew and is the great destroyer of all things cardboard.

Fitz: Reformed bun. Was bonded to Binks and didn't like people all that much. Since Binks died she really started to like people. She also used to have VERY POOR litterbox habits. Would basically go anywhere except where she would sleep. Eventually got a lower sided HUGE tray (~36" by 36") for a litterbox and she now has VERY GOOD litterbox habits. I went to the giant box because I said 'Fine, if you are going to use one half of you cage as a litterbox, I will simply make a half of you cage a litterbox.' I am not sure why she didn't use the litterbox before, but I think even though she is a big bunny she didn't like the higher edges of her old litterbox.

Anytime I have a problem with my buns I usually try to change the cage/pen setup to better handle the issue. My advice is if your bun is having issues try to change the conditions so that the same behavior is not an issue.

TL;DR: Setting up a cage/pen to meet the buns behaviors is sometimes easier than changing a buns behaviors.

Buster has good litter box habits. He's very sweet and I am very happy with him :)

However, he doesn't like to cuddle, or be picked up. AT ALL. He won't 'groom' me back no matter how long I pet him for (which sounds like a cool experience that I want to experience!)
He is OBSESSED with getting out of his room. He has the WHOLE dining room to himself and is never happy with it... everyone in my house always talks about how spoiled he is, and he still wants to leave. :p
The biting drives me INSANE. I've even tried people's suggestions on here and he still does it... was petting him yesterday, he was happy, and randomly jumped up and bit my elbow... hard. Still makes no sense to me.

But overall, I love him :) He's such a sweetie! And he's starting to learn his name... or more that when he hears that word sometimes he gets a treat. :)

Our cats are typical cats...the only real issue we ever had is the two of them did not get along. Since we moved they are now getting along so it is no longer an issue.

We had fish. Purchased them because we have both had fish when younger and thought it would be relaxing for us. We did research and purchased non-agressive fish. Not too big, not too small. All they did was fight. Not relaxing for us!

We purchased newts after researching to find ones that would get along. One newt killed the other two.

Our dog is 104lbs but acts more like a tiny dog. He is full of energy, loves everyone and everything but does show his protective side. He loves to lean on you and if you get hit with his tail when in full wag it can really hurt. He is also great at stepping on our feet and managing to dig his nails in. He is house trained. Acts a little weird at meal time except with me or my husband so others are kept away to be sure nothing happens. He travels with us but slobbers the whole time which is not something he normally does. He has OCD tendencies such as he will not relieve himself no matter how long it has been unless he is in a large open space. Always walks through a door while being on your left side. We trained him not to chew bones on hardwood and he will not but other things we try to teach him he just never gets.

Thumper is wonderful most of the time. He only leaves an occassional poop, never pees outside his litter box, loves being petted, binkies and runs like a fool on a daily basis, runs around us when we enter the room unless he is in his lazy time of the day, likes us to chase him and teases the dog to chase him, only thumps rarely when something startles him but never at us, shows no agression, is pretty laid back and not bothered by much not even his bunny room full of adults, children and toddlers and all of the commotion and noise that goes along with it. The only things we wish were different is that he does not like to be held but we are working on that and he chews his gates and baseboards. I stop him every chance I get and he has plenty of others things to chew. Hoping we can break him of it so he can eventually have full run of the house.

Oliver is such a good boy. He never poos on the floor, he always uses the litter box. He will cuddle up to me and stick his nose in my ears and nuzzle his head into my neck and other things. He is too cute. :) He usually listens when I talk to him, which I am surprised about. But one thing that he does that can get on my nerves is chewing. He chews on his cage when I put him in at night, I know he wants to get back out but I can't let him cause my dog sleeps in my room, so it's not really his fault. I have VERY happy with him. He is my baby.

Daisy is a brat. I love her to pieces too though. She loves to cuddle when she is out of her cage and has only peed on my bed once. But she is usually quite the snappy little thing. She is very territorial. She only lets you fill her food and water dish when it is the back right corner. I love her though. :) I am happy with her.

I love all of our rabbits as individuals. I think it is great how they have little quirks that make them so unique. It also helps that I don't have expectations going into the relationship that they need to behave a certain way so I'm not dissapointed.

Rebecca- she's my heart bunny and we struggle with her head tilt but she has so much spunk and sweetness
Indiana Bunns (RIP)- he came with so many health issues from neglect that I was so happy just to give him love in his last months
Ghirardelli- total clown with very high energy, will do anything for a laugh

Cinderella (RIP)- my Easter bunny, it took her a year to trust but then she was so very sweet and would cover me in kisses
Houdini- he thinks he's a rock star and is a fluffy ball of love. he over heats so he prefers to sit next to a person to be pet
Sophie- she is large and in charge. she will grunt to make her opinion known but also jump into your lap for a pet

Panda- nothing phases this boy, totally relaxed and food obsessed, he likes to get into things
Bunnicula- very sweet and a little shy, she stays one hop behind Panda and follows him into trouble

The dynamics when I put all 6 together is wonderful to watch. Panda has declared himself king and everybun has accepted that. They are starting to relax all together but the pair bonds remain very strong.

Buckley and Bella are the best bunnies i've had, they love their cuddles, they don't mind being held, they are fine with getting groomed, nails cut and are fine with going into the carrier.
Alice, is my first bunny as is very loving too, she hates being picked up though, and when she see's the carrier coming she stamps, and growls at me because she absoloutly HATES the vets and she thinks that the carrier means the vets :)
Casey is a typical bunny, only wants attention when she asks for it, and if i stroke her without her consent then she storms off aha.
Bonnie is the little shy one of the group, doesn't really like to be stroked, or touched, but she follows me everywhere like a lost puppy and kisses me, which is what i love about her :)

My dogs are both very clever know LOADS of tricks, but Sophie is bloody mental! :D My cats are typical cats, they think they are the queens, lol and they both suckle my neck aha :D

Back