How far down will rabbits burrow under a fence?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyara

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :)

If I wanted to fence a garden in especially for rabbits how deep must the underground part of the fence be to keep them from burrowing out? Does anyone know? Thanks so much.

Chelle

To be honest, that really depends on the rabbits. If the rabbits are diggers then they can go far, pretty quickly. I would probably be looking at maybe 3 ft underground if you have a digger, and the hole would need to be filled in everynight.

Hmmm..... It might be better just to take topsoil off down about a foot and concrete a layer with good drainage holes and replace topsoil and grass an area.

I can see keeping them in could be as challenging as keeping predators out! :)

Little Houdinis!!!!

If you bend chicken wire in an L shape so that it stretches out flat a foot or two underground on the inside of the fence, when they dig, they'll get wire.

sas

:bunnydance:

I agree that putting poultry wire down works better than trying to make the fence go 3 feet underground. I have a digger (just found this out) and she has dug about a foot in FROZEN ground. I'd hate to see what she could do if the ground wasn't frozen! Good luck containing your bunnsters :)

Thanks S_Toast! Looks like I am definitely going to have some fun! :) Really looking forward to getting them li'l cuties. The rabbitry is coming along pretty good. I work at it daily.

Hi Cyara, instead of putting down concrete under the top soil, you can also just put down wire. As Pipp mentioned, you can either bend the wire fence to go inside the enclosure, or if you have buns that dig elsewhere too, you can just put chicken wire under the whole bottom of the pen.
Best if you can burry it a foot or so, but even if you just put it on the ground, the grass etc. will just grow through it and cover it up.

I would probably want to do that just in case, because even if your buns don't dig out, some predators may want to dig in!

Back