HOW EARLY CA YOU BREED A BUCK?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple Mountain Rabbitry

Reaction score
Ok so I got this broken blue mini rex buckand I was wondering how soon you can breed a buck. do you have to wait six months like a doe or can you do it sooner? he is like 8-10 weeks right now.

thanks

Crystal

I think its general that they reach sexual maturity at 6 months. Some sooner some later.

at that young he was just taken away from mommy..... Def needs to wait a while. I'd not try until 6 months at the EARLIEST.

It is best to wait until they reach sexual maturity, I just proved that to myself with one of my junior bucks, sadly. I bred him at around 4 months, shortly after his testicles dropped, because that is the soonest that a rabbit should be able to breed. Now it is a month later and I have no babies to show for it, plus he has started spraying and dirtying himself and marking just about everything he touches. I dread putting him onto the grroming table to work with him because I know he will poop and most of the time pee on it too.

I usually wait until they are 6 months old. Sometimes you will have a buck that is able to breed earlier.

Right now I have a buck doing his thing at 4 1/2 months old. His first litter is due at the beginning of next month, so, we'll see how that goes.

My dutch buck had his first litter at 4 months,and one of my lionhead bucks who is 5 almost 6 months i have bred twice, and nothing lol

As soon as they are obviously developed (i.e. the boys are in the barracks lol) they are capable. Some even advocate using their bucks asap because they believe it brings their heads along quicker and better. I think if you are going to use a buck for stud duties you have to be prepared for the fact that he may become more excitable than one who hasn't had a taste of sex (not always the case)

Latest posts

Back