How do you know it's safe to graze?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeStevens

Reaction score
I have a large property in the country so I know my lawn is free of pesticides. I frequently cut grass and dandelions and plantain to bring in for the buns, and I'd like to bring them outside on a harness. How do I know if the lawn is truly safe? There are lots of good plants for them, and grass, but lots of other plants in the lawn that I have no idea if they are safe. Little white flowers, leafy things, etc. There could be 10 kinds of plants in one small patch of grass, you know?

take pics and post them here OR take samples (leaf/flower/stem) to a master gardener.

Most plants will be fine for bunnies, just a few aren't.

Off the top of your head, do you know which aren't? It might be a longer list than is worth writing but honestly it'll be easier for me to cross check bad ones than try to take pictures of all of them (it's a big lawn, and the property is in the woods, there are a lot of plants growing in the lawn).

I'll google it too. Can't be the only one with this question!

I don't know your area.
Most lawns have plantain, dandelions, creeping charlie, bindweed, white clover. Some lawns have viola in it as well.

If you are talking about letting your bun graze in the bush.... then I don't know what you have up there.

Some people will probably read what I'm about to say and lose their minds, but my main rule of thumb is: Don't worry about it.

Our lawn is not treated, so I know there are no harsh chemicals to worry about. But I don't know exactly what species of grass, weeds, etc. are on it. I let the bunnies out anyway, and they graze on what seems appealing and leave other things alone. So far, I've owned rabbits for more than half my life and haven't had any troubles with letting them graze. Generally speaking, most vegetation is okay in moderation. I don't really consider it a "risk" to let the rabbits out to play, but I suppose that is a decision each of us have to make.

If you're still concerned about it, maybe you could re-plant and fence off a small portion of the yard for your rabbit. That way, you would know exactly what is growing inside. :)

I agree with OakRidgeRabbits, I let Ash outside to graze and I don't know what he is eating but the lawn isn't treated with pesticides or anything. Usually if he is eating a strange kind of plant I just push him away with my foot. But anything that looks like grass I let him eat. And he's done fine, but sometimes when he poops he has mushy poo, that's all.

Latest posts

Back