How do you know if it's aggression?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
So I've been attempting to bond Cheeto and Millie. This issue is that when Cheeto is out of his element, he freezes and doesn't acknowledge anything--especially Millie. She is all happy to see him and runs over to him, but he just sits there. The adoption coordinator said that she's never seen anything like it; he doesn't respond to anything.
So, I put Millie into his territory. He starts chasing her and pulling fur out. The adoption coordinator said that this is normal (another rabbit did this to him while we were trying dates,) and to watch for further aggression (like trying to kill her, I suppose.) How do you know what is too aggressive?
When he is doing this, is he trying to show dominance? He chases her from the back, so that's the only explanation I can think of. He doesn't have a mean look to him, so I'm really confused. I get really scared though. She is so small compared to him. I keep breaking them up when he starts doing this and I'm afraid I'm setting their bonding process back. Any advice?

I have yet to bond any bunnies, but I would try leaving him out of his element, maybe he'll eventually acknowledge her. I wouldnt put her in his territory, I'm not sure about bunny language but I think its rude lol. I would maybe build something with a divider and just watch that he doesnt bite or vice versa. Then just have them spend free time together, supervised. This might be a very long slow moving process, hoping others chime in..

I hope to bond Bugsy and Oreo after I get them spayed/neutered. To start I have them in a NIC cage with a divider..i think this will help the process. They have never tried to bite or fight though.

Good luck!

I don't know, so maybe you can ask the coordinator to be more specific.

It does seem strange that he's freezing up. It sounds like a caught-in-the-headlights reaction that shouldn't happen in normal situations. His comfort zone is very small, I guess.

You need a rabbit psychiatrist, if there were such a thing.

Baha thank you both. The funny thing is that he's such a laid back rabbit otherwise. He adjusts himself to any situation pretty quick, and seems fine with all other animals. But if there's a rabbit in the room, watch out! He will be hiding behind you in no time. :rollseyes

Latest posts

Back