How do you get a rabbit to like getting picked up?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelley

Reaction score
I have a 4 month old bunny he is really friendly, he sits on my knee gives me kisses and binkys around me. But as soon as I pick him up he kicks and tries to jump, advice?

Most rabbits don't like being picked up. Some will work with their bunnies so that the bunnies will at least tolerate being picked up. But very few rabbits ever like being picked up.

Right now, I have one bunny that will tolerate it when necessary. But my other girl despises being picked up or held. The only time she gets held is when I need to clip her nails. Then I wrap her in a bunny burrito to do them.

I still can't pick up my rabbit without a big hoopla and I've had her for a year and a half! I tried to get her used to it by using various techniques and nothing worked. I think that some buns will just never tolerate it. The reason I gave up on it was because it was starting to traumatize her. For me that wasn't worth doing it. The main thing is that I know I can do it if I absolutely have to but it's never going to be a daily thing for me.

Picking up my bunnies is normally preceeded by lots of running away and thumping. :p I've had them for 10-11 months now and that's how they've always been. My mini lop will eventually loaf up and let me pick her up, but my nethie will continue fighting until I can catch him.

I either got lucky with Bandit, or it was sheer persistence and stubbornness on my end :p Most rabbits don't enjoy picking up, and those that do it's simply more of a tolerance than actually enjoying being held. It takes time because they are a prey animal and they need to learn to trust you, but you just have to practice. Kneel on the ground and from a position that's comfortable pick up your rabbit, never just around the middle and never with the back of the neck. Always support the rump and under the front legs. If your rabbit struggles, hold firmly but not with too much pressure since you obviously don't want to hurt your rabbit. However if you let your rabbit get away whenever he struggles, he will learn that struggling and kicking will get him what he wants. So you need to reinforce that you will hold him until he's been calmed down, and then you can put him down. I picked Bandit up every day, sometimes a couple of times a day to practice. It takes quite a long time, but now I can pretty much pick him up whenever. He doesn't enjoy being held, but I can pick him up with ease which is all I really need.

I actually worked with all of my bunnies to let me pick them up. Some tolerate it, some enjoyed it. Trix is the exception that she doesn't mind being up in the air like super bun and I blow a soft raspberry on her belly, but it's because we have a very, very special bond that was developed quite by accident. She sees my as her protector ever since I held her from the second we met in a car ride. Please note that she will not sit on my lap for long.

My bun is 10mths old and he still dislikes it quite a bit. He boxes, grunts, and thumps as soon as I put him down. I only pick him up if I have to.

Sometimes rabbits only
Inked being picked up a certain way

I can never pick Rocket up. I have to wrap him in a towel and hold him that way.

I've never been able to pick up Sparkles without her fighting me like crazy...it's quite frustrating as I am not able to clip her nails either...she's over 6 months old, is this a huge problem with her nails not being trimmed regularly?

I've never been able to pick up Sparkles without her fighting me like crazy...it's quite frustrating as I am not able to clip her nails either...she's over 6 months old, is this a huge problem with her nails not being trimmed regularly?

Yes, they need to be trimmed regularly. If you're not able to do it, you'll need to get them clipped by a qualified vet or technician. I'm not able to trim my rabbits nails so I take her in to the vet every couple of months. Some get the nails trimmed more often than that. The quick will have grown out on your rabbit so a series of frequent nail trims with little bits taken off will be best so that eventually the quick goes back down.

Yes, they need to be trimmed regularly. If you're not able to do it, you'll need to get them clipped by a qualified vet or technician. I'm not able to trim my rabbits nails so I take her in to the vet every couple of months. Some get the nails trimmed more often than that. The quick will have grown out on your rabbit so a series of frequent nail trims with little bits taken off will be best so that eventually the quick goes back down.

Update - we took her to PetCulture where they do nail trims for free!! and it wasn't bad at all, was hard getting her into her carrier, but they said with her being so young and that she has objects in her cage (wooden bridge, timothy hay tunnel) it probably helped keep them from growing too fast...so all is good now! :) thank you.

Latest posts

Back